Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
michael.lewchuk

Allen Bradley EthernetIP specifics

3 posts in this topic

Hello. Is there any info out there for the specific EIP classes and operations supported by Allen Bradley PLCs? Allen Bradley PLCs "support CIP and EIP" but I find that a lot of what they do goes outside of the standard CIP/EIP classes. Generally I'm interested in commands that: * Browse the PLC's list of programmer-defined variables and modules with accessable I/O points * Demand read and write data * Subscribe to data updates if possible * Check PLC status Currently I'm having a problem with CIP return code 6. I'm querying the PLC and getting back "Partial transfer". How do I tell it to continue the transfer (i.e. request another page of data)? I find that there is a LOT of documentation on EIP, CIP, and so on, but when you look at it all, there's no real vendor-independent mandatory supported functionality for basic data access. Thanks.

That's because the ODVA part of the CIP protocol is concerned with devices, not PLC's per se. All the questions you asked have to do with PLC's directly. AB has a document on their web site detailing how to do PCCC over Ethernet/IP. The "rabbit hole" you seek is in fact PCCC. PCCC is the Ethernet variant of DF-1, which is also well documented on their web site. They have also added a supplemental document explaining how to read/write the symbolic names that the ControlLogix family uses instead of using the "PLC-5 mapping" function. Through this function you will not be able to browse the tag database or utilize publish/subscribe but you can definitely poll variables and check PLC status. The one function I find most intriguing is the PLC-based alarm/event reporting system that thus far is only accessible through Allen Bradley's crappy OPC driver (RS-Linx). Beyond these basic functions it gets progressively more difficult. Part of this is so that Allen Bradley does not box themselves into a corner from a software point of view. A lot of what goes on in the ControlLogix processors is built into the compiler which is actually contained inside RS-Logix 5000. The Logix 5000 processor firmware is still very much in flux and is seeing new major firmware updates about once a year minimum. I have been using Rev 17. I recently had the pleasure of working on a Rev 15 system and several features were noticeably missing, but the Rev 10 processor was hard to recognize as the exact same equipment. Even the I/O cards are flash upgradeable, though most are only up to a major revision of 2 or 3 at the most.

Perhaps you can try ODVA (www.odva.org). The full EIP specification is available there, but for purchase. They are supposedly vendor neutral so their documentation may have the vendor-neutral information you're looking for. FYI, FORM 1770 from Opto 22 (www.opto22.com), may be useful to you...though it specifically addresses EIP class accessability as related to using Opto SNAP I/O attributes over EIP.