Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dave

Compactlogix to Eurotherm 6100e Chart Recorder

2 posts in this topic

HI all, I have a project on the go using a Compactlogix plc coupled via Ethernet port to a Eurotherm paperless chart recorder. I want to send 6 temperature values from the plc to the chart recorder for continuous logging and display. Reading the 6100e manual, I see it uses Modbus protocol and I can use function codes 06 or 16 to send one word or several words at a time. I have assembled the data I need to send in some contiguous files, with the temperatures as 16-bit integers (0.1 degree resolution). In RSLogix5000, I see a MSG instrutcion which can be configured for 'generic CIP' and I assume that is what I should be using. However, it asks me to define things like 'service code, class, instance, attribute' as hex values. Also, I assume that somewhere I should be telling it the IP address of the recorder so it knows where to send its data. I am no expert with this stuff and was wondering if anyone has set up one of these recorders with an AB plc and can point me in the right direction. Any help gratefully received!

I think you will need for example a Prosoft Modbus TCP card to do this, e.g, an MVI69-MNET as you need to be talking the modbus protocol to send data to the Eurotherm. There may be other interface converters which will acheive this as well.