Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LeeB

DeviceNet problem

3 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, I have a DeviceNet network setup for a project i'm working on. I have two Sick Stegmann ATM60-D absolute encoders on there and two Allen Bradley Compact Block CDX 1790D-T16BVO modules on the network. I have all devices configured and working fine, writing to the correct registry's etc. The Sick Stegmann encoders take up to 15 different paramaters, out of these parameters i have configured two. The resolution p. revolution as 1024 and the total measuring range as 16384. I then download the changes to the device and everything is great. The problem comes with loss of power to the device, it then loses it's configuration and keeps the defaults. There is a section in the user manual that refers to the Class Instance Editor and says that the following services "Save", "Reset" and "Restore" can only be executed in online mode using the Class Instance Editor. It then goes onto say that the following about the "Save" command: All parameters are stored in the encoder EEPROM. -- Use this service to protect parameter values against loss due power failure. I tried selecting this command from the dropdown list and clicking 'Execute'. I'm not sure if this is the correct way of doing this and i get the following error: Communication error 12. Error response received: Service not supported. Could anyone please give some guidance on this matter? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Lee

I haven't used these specific encoders, but I've encountered "Error 12" a few times. Another description I have read is "Object State Conflict", or "Device is in the wrong state to accept this command". In those cases, the device could not execute a specific command because it had an I/O connection configured and running, and the command would have modified objects in use by the connection. The workaround was straightforward; disable the I/O connection and re-attempt the service message. There are two basic ways to disable an I/O connection: disconnect the scanner from the network, or un-check the "Active" checkbox in the scanner's scanlist configuration for the slave device you're working with. If you are connecting to the network by bridging through the scanner, obviously you can't physically disconnect it, so disable the scanlist entry (or remove the slave from the scanlist entirely). Most slave devices also require a power cycle so they forget the I/O connection they previously had configured and operating.

Ken, Thanks for getting back to me so quick. I done as you said, i also needed to change some details in the object address section. I had to change the class to '2F'. Executed successfully. Thanks very much Lee