Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
semilogical

PLC-5 Retrofit

4 posts in this topic

I'm working on a retrofit system for a project from 1993. The programming is somewhat a mess and I've got to resurect the system in August. It's been sometime since I used a PLC-5 so my questions might seem as if they come from an inexperienced user. The topics of question is communication to an RSView32 on two table top units as well as some 1771-IXE questions. #1 - The last time I used RSView32 I went directly to a SLC-5/05 and didnt have any problems. Now it seems like I can't get the communication configured to talk. Right now I'm testing on my laptop connected live to a PLC-5/30B Revision U with an ethernet sidecar. I can program over the ethernet as well as the Serial port on my laptop. I cannot; however, get the RSView32 to talk to the PLC. I've tried several things. I even called tech support and the guy worked me through the way he felt it needed to be done and I'm still with a dead link. When I started working on the project I setup the IP addresses in the PLC and the two desktops. I did not have to create an OPC topic name as I was using a direct hookup to the PLC. I set up the IP's and it just worked. The desktop computers are now at the jobsite, the processor is on my desk sans the Remote I/O chassis's. I have 4 1771-IXE thermocouple modules in the system. Mostly type J thermocouples. I haven't used Block Transfers for almost 12 years now so the concept is a little foreign to me. If the data coming in is raw at 0-4095 I can handle the data, but if it is scaled to the standard ranges for the thermocouples I have a problem. The original programmer looked as if he used all raw data. My customer claimed they had to run the system in manual from day one. After reviewing the program I'm seeing why. Any pointers of how to get the communication and IXE configuratons out of the basement of my mind would be greatly appreciated.

Just going from memory, haven't been on one in a year... I thought in the IXE cards, you set the TC type in RS 5000, under the card config. Your range will be 0-4095, but it will use that with the appropriate current or resistance scale for the temp range of the TC. Did you try communicating with the RSview32 from your laptop? Sure the port is ok? Are you using the same cable from plc to hmi as you are for plc to pc? ...Should you be using a crossover cable? I'm just guessing with the comms, from experience I have on other HMI's. Can't help much on RSview specifics without one if front of me.

first things first ... check (and double-check) the TITLE BAR at the top of your copy of RSLinx and make SURE that it doesn't say "Lite" ... reason: some installations of RSLinx Lite will (sadistically) let you configure DDE and OPC topics – but those topics will NOT work ... that's because you need a licensed (non-free; non-Lite) version of RSLinx to do what you're trying to do ... specifically, RSLinx Lite is ONLY for programming ... it won't do DDE or OPC ... note: I've seen this perplexing situation before ... I'm going by memory here, but I seem to remember that the problem resulted from a "Lite" version initially being installed – and THEN a license being placed on the machine ... if that memory is correct, then reinstalling a FULL (non-Lite) version of RSLinx might fix your problem ... if all else fails, I'd definitely try that ... next ... I (for one) am sort of unclear as to exactly what you're trying to finally accomplish ... the term "retrofit" and the hardware that you've mentioned aren't telling me just where you stand now – or where you're trying to end up ... suggestion: if at all possible, can you post some existing program files for us to look at? ... that's usually the best/easiest/quickest way for us to get a handle on your project ... if you can't post the program files, maybe you can tell us more about what specific range of values you actually need for your scaling issues ... also: there is a section titled "Descaling Inputs" in the PID chapter of the PLC-5 Instruction Set Reference Manual ... it specifically mentions the 1771-IXE card – and covers some scaling/descaling issues related to it ... even if you're not using PID (are you?) it's quite possible that the conversion formulas given in that section will be of help to you ... good luck with your project ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

I'm currently still not having any luck getting the communications to work with my laptop, the desktop computers I had the "pre-checkout" software running on was working great before we shipped it to the customer. I will be shipping the PLC components back this week and will wait to reinstall the RSView32 program into those computers so I can reverify the RSLinx settings I had, the topic setup and the IP addressing for the rest of the system. When you have all of the equipment in one place it's easier to get things moving in a direction needed, all of the interactions are in place. Tha plus I'll have a couple of guys with me that are very familiar with the communications situations. Worst case we have 24/7 support from Rockwell so I can call/chat my way to success when the time comes. I will update this thread after I get the solutions wired in my head and in the equipment. Edited by semilogical