Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kaiser_will

Reset of PowerFlex4 and 40 drives

4 posts in this topic

Is there a way to setup PowerFlex4 and PowerFlex40 AC drives for reset when they communicate via DeviceNet? Since these drives have only power in, power out and DeviceNet, there are no hard connections for reset. If any of the drives fault, the customer has to cycle system power (or at least drive power and comms power, allowing time for the drives to bleed off before powering up). The application is for a pallet conveyor system, and faults occur often due to overloading or banged up pallets. If the drive trip points are stretched out (to reduce nuisance trips), then mechanical failures occur (nuisance downtime). I believe the discrete I/O board is lost when adding the 22-COMM-D DeviceNet interface board, so the discrete programmable reset feature is also lost.

The 22-COMM-D board mounts on standoffs above the main control board, so the discrete wiring is still right there underneath. Resetting a drive fault over DeviceNet is straightforward: set the Command Word Bit 03, "Clear Faults". Faults are indicated over the network in the Status Word Bit 07, "Fault" I generally program it so that when a "reset" button is pressed on an HMI, I set the Clear Faults bit until the Fault status bit is cleared. If you aren't using the DeviceNet Tag Generator, be sure to have the 22-COMM-D user manual handy, especially Appendix D, which has the Command/Status word definitions. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...um003_-en-p.pdf

You can still reset the drive over comms. You write 2 x words to the drive, 1st word is control word and the 3rd Bit in the control word is reset. 2nd word you write to the drive is reference. Check out page 95 of the User manual. Not sure what page in the PowerFlex 40 manual, but the control word is the same. Edit: Too slow again PowerFlex4.pdf Edited by Kiwi Sparky

Thank you very much for the info. I will integrate reset into the PLC/HMI applications.