Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scorch1

Display images in FTView not part of project ?

4 posts in this topic

What I'm trying to do is to display an image on a FTView ME screen that is located in a pre-defined directory on the PC (not added to Images as part of the project). The images I'm trying to display can be changed by an outside application, that's why I can't bring them into the application. I would like to point to a certain file name in the pre-defined directory and display this on a screen. The 3rd party application will replace this file (with same name) with a different file if the image changes. Is there any way to do this ? Do I need to write an Active-X to accomplish this ? Thanks

Yes, there is a way to update the images in a Machine Edition app that is in runtime. It is not a built-in feature, but the following method will work for a computer or PanelViewPlus CE runtime only. In short, when the ME application is in runtime there is a temporary folder that holds the app files (including the images). If update those image files directly, keeping the same file names, the new image will appear in the application after a display change/refresh. 1. Create your ME application and add in the image objects as placeholders/starting objects. They will need to have an image name defined, and make sure the image size is what you want. Those properties cannot change at runtime. 2. Compile the runtime file (*.mer) and run it on your terminal/computer. 3. The *.mer file will be uncompressed to a temporary folder. On a computer that will be C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\~MER.00 On a PVP CE, there should be a similar temp folder created on the root CF card (\Storage Card). 4. Inside the ~mer.00 folder will be the application files. The Images folder will contain all the images for the application. Use some method (ex. FTP server, BAT file, etc) to overwrite the desired images in that folder. 5. If the intended display is currently being viewed in Machine Edition, you will need to navigate off the display and then back to see the image change. Note, when the application shutsdown (ex. power cycle) all the images will revert back to the orginal set of images. However, if you have an automated method to copy the images in then it should not be a big concern. On the PVP CE, you can enable the FTP server to all a remote computer to push the images down to the terminal. The following article has details on how to setup the FTP server on the PVP CE. http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...p?p_faqid=28015

Hi, scorch1. Have you ever found out the solution to your problem? How about creating a 3rd party web-based image viewer to help display images directly? I am not so sure about that whether it is the best solution to your problem or not. But you can google it and selects one to have a try. I hope you success. Good luck. Best regards, Arron

thanks for sharing this solution, but we plan on displaying image in FTView ME screen, do you hvae any idea how to do this?