Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gator

Inexpensive PLC training, with a demo unit, not a simulator.

9 posts in this topic

What does anyone reccommend for a training package aimed at learning how PLC's "think" as well as how to program them. Using a real, but inexpensive PLC demo unit. And has lab projects for the more advanced instructions as well as the basic instructions? Simulators are great and inexpensive but lack the hands on experience that you feel when you have a real piece of hardware sitting right in front of you with the lights blinking.

have you looked here? ... http://www.plctrainer.net/ disclosure: I've contributed a small amount of material to this supplier, but make no profit from any sales ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

We use several trainer but if you are looking for one that is inexpensive and easy to use as well as a good stepping stone I woulld look at the trainer from Automation Direct. I will warn you that the video is a little dry. Also, check out PLCtrainer.com. There is some great stuff there as well.

I was thinking of a home study course that I could purchase and use with a Micrologix1000 10pt. processor and the free software from Rockwell. The demo is very easy and inexpensive to assemble with a processor and $35.00 worth of Radio Shack parts. Any other ideas on where to get project lab books and lessons on PLC's? Thanks: Tim

Gator you should check out the training materials at www.plcprofessor.com I have reviewed this course and it is excellent ! Well worth the small investment and VERY cost effective. Best regards, Tron

Tim, Most of our AB stuff is geared towards the SLC500 platform as that is where we started; however, the instruction set is similar to the Micrologix so I would recommend looking over our videos (PLCMentor.com). In a month or so we plan on offering a coursework - both self paced and what I would call semi-instructor led. It will be heavy on 'labs' which is the most important part of any PLC coursework. The first course set will be on the SLC; however, we will charge so it may not be an option. I would offer a suggestion on the Micrologix. The 1000 is cheap, but offers no online programming capabilities. I think any training program would want to cover that topic. The 1100 offers online programming, analog I/O and an ethernet I/P port. Another alternative is to keep an eye on EBay. SLC's come up on there regularly though getting analog on the cheap can be difficult. Russell

Of course Russell you big dummy you cant use the freebie software with that...

You can check out http://www.opto22.com/site/pr_details.aspx...item=SNAP-PACLC

Hi Arun, I was in the same position two years ago but iwas able to purchased a training satation and six months after i built muy own. I will be in the Dominican Republic from Dec. 23 to Dec.29 and I will bring a couple of AB Micrologix training stations for sale. Contact me at leonfdu@optonline.net.