Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slammm

RSLinx Upgrade Help

6 posts in this topic

I'm upgrading from GE Fanuc Fix32 to iFix 7.0 and found the most difficult part is getting RSLinx setup correctly. I was trying to use RSLinx Classis Lite but found that iFix needs a registration number so I got out my EVMove disk (from our RSLinx Pro purchased in 1994) then found that RSLinx Classis Lite will not work on a system that is using RAID, it will corrupt the file. That wasn't my preferred method anyway because I do not want to take my master Scada PC down and hope I can get the new one running the same day. After bugging the hell out of my local distributor we finally figured out that eConnect will work, allowing me to upgrade our copy of RSLinx Pro version 2.10.18, to the latest version. My biggest concern and unanswered question is, can I get temporary registration so I don't have to take my master Scada down by moving the registration to the new one. Any other thoughts appreciated, GE Fanuc iFix 7.0 RSLinx AB 1784-PKTX card. Specter Win 911 3ware RAID 1 Thanks, Sam Edited by Slammm

Have you tried calling Allen-Bradley tech support? Select registration from the phone tree options list. I have found tech support to be more responsive to registration issues than my local distributor. You say "iFix needs a registration number" then you got out your EVMove disk. Is this correct? EVMove is for the Allen-Bradley license, not the GE-Fanuc (Intellution) iFix license. Also, there is a USB-version of EVMove out there as (working) floppy drives are becoming a rarity. On a side note, if your SCADA node is critical, why not upgrade in parallel off to the side? You can then work through the licensing issues and other such without impacting your process.

Just as a matter of information, RSLinx Lite cannot be used with anything except the RSLogix programming software. You have to move up to the classic when using it for SCADA systems. Russell

I have contacted Allen-Bradley tech support (not registrations) and they told me to get a support program and upgrade, I just sent the PO today. As soon as I get the eConnect information I'll contact registrations, thanks. Actually when I go to the iFix SCU to import the drivers and database the RSLinx utility asks for the registration. RSLinx is communicating with the field PLCs just not bringing it into iFix so I think I’m real close. The existing Scada PC is so old that it doesn’t have a USB but I'll figure out how to move the registration. I do have a second remote Scada PC in my office that if I have to I could move it to the plant it would be a hassle but could work as a last resort. I'm not by any means a programmer; I'm the end user who has a fair understanding and want more control of our Scada system. Thanks, Sam

Rockwell Software has changed from a diskette and key-file mechanism to a newer mechanism called "FactoryTalk Activation" that creates a plaintext license file from a serial number and a unique identifier on your PC, which can be a hard drive ID or a MAC ID of a network card, or a HASP dongle. Since you're using RAID, it makes sense to use the network card instead of the hard drive ID. While RSLinx Classic 2.54 will support either your existing EVRSI activation file or FactoryTalk Activation, I think the best thing to do is migrate from EVRSI to FactoryTalk Activation. Now that you have a support contract, you are eligible to download and install RSLinx Classic 2.54 and you are eligible to request a new FactoryTalk Activation. You will install the FactoryTalk Activation Client software on your SCADA machine, and use the FactoryTalk Activation Utility to create an activation file on your PC that activates RSLinx Classic 2.54. The license file has a *.LIC extension and is in plain text; it can be backed up or saved in any way you desire. When you are done migrating your system, you'll send back the old floppy diskette to RA to retire that activation and keep using your new one. You won't have to touch the old system, won't have to use a diskette on the new system, and won't have to shut down either one during the migration or after the migration.