Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shawn_walker

Micrologix 1100 w/ VFD

4 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, Wasnt really sure where to post this but i figured since i will be using a AB controller this was the appropriate place. Im gonna be commissioning a system in a few months where i will be using a micrologix 1100 and a VFD to control a motor. What i was wondering is what can the PLC control on the VFD through a communication card. obviously the VFD will have i/o that i can utilize to perform different functions, but through the communication card does the PLC have access to other features? Cheers, Shawn

Refer to technotes 52205 Can I control a PowerFlex drive over EtherNet/IP with a MicroLogix1100? 35188 Controlling a PowerFlex 40 with a MicroLogix via 1761-NET-ENI / 22-COMM-E in Allen Bradley's Knowledgebase. While the technotes deal with powerflex drives, the principles can be applied to other brand drives that support Ethernet/IP communication. Edited by Alaric

There's also a good example using SLC-5/05 (the principles are the same) in the Sample code section of this website: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=759 Get the User Manual for the 22-COMM-E module and read up on the addressing of parameters other than start/stop/reference if you're going to message to them.

Do you want to control speed, position or torque with the VFD? Which model number and manufacturer of VFD are you going with?