Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Watercannon

Refresher on Installing a NI8 Module

5 posts in this topic

So its been ahwile since I have installed a module on a live system, and by live I mean the system is running and I shut it down and install the card quickly. I do know I need to kill the power to install a new card but I'm a bit fuzzy after that. I somewhat remember something about taking a snapshot to remember all my numbers and totals than download the new configuration with the card added to the I/O list than start it back up? Kinda close?? Thanks

First, what system we talking about here...SLC or PLC-5 or Compact/ControlLogix? I believe all SLC and PLC-5 systems require power-down for new card installations and the Logix family requires certain features to be enabled to not have your processor fault out when a new card is inserted into the rack. For SLC and PLC processors... Pre-work: 1. Go online and upload the program and all parameters 2. Take your development computer offline and add the new NI8 card to the I/O configuration (under Controller in the left pane of RSLogix) 3. Suggest you save the new program as a different program name to back-out changes if problems arise Pre-programming: Specialty input cards, such as the 8-channel analog input card (NI8) require settings to be made that get downloaded to the card on the processor changing from stop to run (such as after you insert the new card, download the program and put the processor in run mode). Get the user manual for this card from A-B's website and figure out your configuration. If you have never done this, prepare for some work. Allen-Bradley tech support can guide you through the setup if you have a support contract. I suggest you get your new program ready to roll first, but you could install the card and get the machine back in operation and figure out the configuration later. Install work: 2. Power down the processor and chassis where the card will go 3. Install the new card, taking caution that the card slides into the rails smoothly and locks into the chassis * PLC cards can easily booger up the backplane if a plastic clip has stuck in there - do some inspection first 4. Power up the processor and download the new program 5. Once you get the processor to go into run mode, you can move onto getting your NI8 card to work Now here is my plug...be very careful with the configuration parameters as you can hose up the wrong card if you are not careful. I worked to commission an analog input card on a machine that ran 24/7 (and poured molten metal). With my local Allen-Bradley sales engineer by my side, we went through setting up the analog input card while the machine was running and we changed the wrong analog card. It ended up we modified an analog OUTPUT card which happened to drive the main speed control for machine which ended up stopping the machine due to a fault. That e-stop condition didn't harm anything other than dumping 0.5M# of molten aluminum and having a bunch of operators want to drag me into the parking lot (as I told the sales engineer he should probably leave right now). This machine was once a PLC-2 and used double-slot addressing before it was upgraded years later to a PLC-5 and retaining the same double-slot addressing scheme. Super-easy to goof up your slot numbers on a remote rack. Keep that in mind, pal. Analyze the risk of your system and get your ducks in a row before moving too quickly.

Sorry, It is a SLC 5/04. Installing 1746-NI8 into a empty slot Edited by Watercannon

1746-NI8 install for a SLC-500 system. 1. Download the user manual for the 1746-NI8. I did a Google search for 1746-NI8 manual and quickly found it. The publication # is 1746-6.8. 2. Figure out the analog input card setup parameters for your application...will your inputs be all analog current, analog voltage, or a mix? You can program for current or voltage for each pair of inputs. Read through the publication. 3. Once you have your application figured out and the setup bits programmed and ready, power down the rack, slide in the card, power up the rack, download the new program, put the processor in run mode. After you have the new card installed, program loaded in and running, you can do a quick verify that your analog input card is working by rigging a signal generator into one of the channels and looking at the input registers. Always a good idea to verify at least one of the channels is working to make sure your input configuration file went through properly. What is this input card going to do for your process?

Its for some additional instruments in a pump station. 4-20ma inputs