Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MDH

AB slc5/03 to Mdrive using serial comm/ascii?

3 posts in this topic

Hello all, I'm not an Allen-Bradley guy so this is way out of my league but here goes. I have a piece of equip that we've just purchased that utilizes a SLC5/03 and a MDrive micro stepper motor by IMS which is connected to the Slc via the serial port which in turn goes through a RS232 to RS485 converter. The program is using the ST registers of which I'm sure you know. My question is this. I've been looking into the ST register commands to and from the Mdrive and I don't understand any of them. Where or how do I go about finding out how to understand what's happening. I understand the Ascii string and the conversions to the appropriate Integers but I've no idea or where to find what the commands mean and why they are where they are. I have the info on the Mdrive and it's command references are completely different then the Allen-Bradley ones I'm seeing in the ST reg. In other words where would one find what "Shift 6 (I don't know what they call that character) M and another Shift 6? I guess I just don't see how the AB is communicating with the Mdrive. There's a command on ST103:0 then again @ ST103:5, etc.... Sure hope someone can help 'cause I feel very lost.

MDH, I have a faint memory of sending ascii code from a PLC years ago. I believe this led to much of the grey around my temples & some missing hair. That said. I believe that some devices will perceive "^M" as a end of message character. The recieving device will begin it's business of caring out the command after it receives this character set. Some devices refer to this as a "Carriage Return" or a "End of Line" deal. Again my memory is fuzzy on the exact character meaning but I think this should get you started in the right direction. The Mdrive manual should spell out what commands are allowed & what end of line or message terminators are used. BD

Thanks for the info bikerdude. I did a little research and found that the "caret" is ,I believe, used for just that. Now all I have to do is figure out how to incorporate all those little command with the slc to be recognized by the Mdrive. Have a good one Mitch