Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
speakerman

DL260 communication troubles through H2ECOM100

3 posts in this topic

Hi All; Well, my first experience with an AD PLC has hit a snag. Something simple, I'm sure, but perusing the manuals has not led to a result. Needless to say this is not my area of expertise. I have a customer who has just purchased a machine outfitted with a 205 plc, DL260 cpu, several i/o modules, and an H2ECOM100. There is also a C-More touch panel that was configured to talk to the PLC through an ethernet hub. I was called because the machine is not working up to spec, the company who installed it is a long ways away, and they are trying to network with it remotely to monitor the code and alarm logs. Prior to my arrival, the OEM had supplied the customer with a copy of DS5, and the C-More programming software, and they had reconfigured the C-More to talk through the RS422 port to get it off of the ethernet network with the assumption that it was interfering with the ability to connect to the PLC remotely. The machine was working correctly system-wise - just not operationally. The touch panel was talking properly to the plc through the hub, and you could interface with the plc directly with the proper cable. We were attempting to establish a communication link with the plc through the ethernet hub using IPX protocol, thus ensuring that the remote attempt would have a chance of succeeding. We were able to see the H2ECOM100, and it did identify the type of plc and cpu number. When attempting to create a link, we got a different error message each time, even if we simply retried the same configuration. We tried using the four different options, station identity, name, IP, and ethernet address. None worked, all gave the same error codes, which I can't find anywhere. These error codes were: 256, 512, 6144, 18432, and 20480. It is not lost on me that all of these codes are multiples of 256. Is that a coincidence? Seems pretty odd. Anyone hear of this stuff? We appear to have done the steps identified in the manual, so when that doesn't work, I guess my next step is you guys... We have a new copy of NETEdit3 to try, but after that it's stumbling in the dark time. Any comments or help will be appreciated! Thanks, Speakerman.

When you say "work with it remotely" do you mean over the internet or from the office? Using UDP would be a better choice, IMHO. If there is any sort of router, gateway, or other packet routing device in between the PLC and the PC you will need to open up or forward port 0x7070 (28,784 decimal). Try giving AutomationDirect tech support a call at 1(800) 633-0405. They should be able to get you connected in no time.

Hey rlp122; Thanks for the advice! We are up and talking, and it wasn't too hard after all. You were right, there was a router, and it interfered with IPX. All is well and I'm impressed with the platform so far! Speakerman.