Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PLC rookie

Basic Logix instruction help

9 posts in this topic

I'm eager for any suggestions on where I can find good information on logix software. What I'm after are manuals and such that will explain how to use, address, and apply the instructions for PLC control. I'm confortable with the basics.... timers, counters, compare instructions, etc.... I'm now more interested in higher level functions. Thanks for any help.

which RSLogix are you working with? ... 5 - 500 - 5000? ... based on your previous posts, I'm guessing it's RSLogix5000 ... if so, one good place to start is under the RSLogix5000 "Help" feature ... click on "Instruction Help" and you should find enough information to keep you going for quite awhile ... note that clicking the "Alphabetical" link is pretty handy if you're looking for something specific ... otherwise just browse through the different categories until you find something interesting to work with ... also ... under the "Help" button there is probably an "Online Books" section ... thousands of pages of manuals ... also ... do a "File Open" and browse down through the "Samples" folder ... you should be able to find dozens of sample programs - and some of them are quite advanced ... note that all of this assumes (gosh, I hate that word) that your software was installed using the default setup options ... if you have specific questions about any of the instructions - or samples - post them here ... we'll be glad to help ... hope this is sort of what you had in mind ...

Sounds like that will help a lot once I actually get the software. Currently we have not purchased it yet, I was just trying to get a head start.

well then ... that changes things ... check the list in the "Suggested Manuals" of my website ... the items in the ControLogix part of the list should be what you're looking for ... just search the AB website for the listed publication numbers ... also ... there seems to be a sample download of RSLogix5000 available here: I haven't tried to download it myself - but see if that helps ...

Hi PLC rookie, I find the sample code website handy....you will need software though http://samplecode.rockwellautomation.com/i..._home_page.hcst I have also attached a document that guides you through the relevant manuals that are available for each product. Recommended_Literature__iasimp_rm001__en_e.pdf

thank you for that "Recommended Literature" PDF file, KidPLC ... I hadn't seen that one before ... it looks like an excellent resource ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

No worries Ron, Glad to contribute....sometimes I feel like I take more than I give to this website it is such a wealth of information I like to support it where I can. Edited by KidPLC

There is a nice basic tutorial on RSLogix 5000 on this web site. http://www.plcdev.com/allen_bradleys_plc_p...amming_handbook