Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jylilaht

Ethernet connection

5 posts in this topic

I would like to use my cx programmer on my workstation ip for example 195.234.234.74 to program plcs on nodes 6 and 7 with ip's 192.168.17.6 and 192.168.17.7. Can I do it? Obviously there's a router between my workstation and plcs. Ping works fine but I cannot get connection. Also ping works when I do it with programming cable on plc. I have made router tables on both plcs so they have matchin ETN21 unit number connected to ethernet as network #1 but they don't "speak" to each other it seems. I also have made router default gateway (192.168.17.254). Is there some other setting I am missing out? Any help is much appreciated. If anyone could give example settings it would be nice. Oh and plc's are type CJ1M-CPU13 and CJ1G-H-CPU44. Ethernet module is that normal CJ1W something. I also have compoway/s connection there but I have no clue how it works. Could I use it to make data link? I don't have controller link available and I really want to exchange information between those 2 plcs. edit: I can connect to both plcs now from one of the plcs through ethernet. I am also able to connect ftp server on plc with my workstation. Only remote connection via cx programmer from my workstation is not working. Edited by jylilaht

jylilaht You should be able to connect from your workstation. It is possible that it will require port forwarding on the router, but it may not. A few questions. When you say that you made the router a default gateway, did you add an entry in the IP Router Table of IP Address = 0.0.0.0 and Router's IP address = Lan side IP of your router? What FINS to IP conversion method are you using? You should be using Auto:Dynamic. You also indicated a Compoway/S connection. That is either a Compoway/F (Temperature controllers and the like) or CompoBus/S. I suspect it is CompoBus/S. CompoBus/S is really a remote IO structure, not a network, and it has no datalink capabilities.

Okay here it goes. If I make tracert for plc ip 192.168.17.6 or 192.168.17.7 for example, it will give me route through some ip xxx.xxx.xxx.239 which i suspect is the router, should i add this in addition/instead of adress 192.168.17.254 on router table in plc? I have already on router table adress 0.0.0.0 and 192.168.17.254. And no plc's don't have FINS set to dynamic, rather it has node adress and ip of plc on table. I haven't made those settings, they were already in there. I don't think there's any kind of connections established already so I guess it's ok to set it dynamic without messing up something else? I suspect I need to call guy responsible for network router settings, since I think problem is now with routers. I can connect FTP server on plc ethernet card from my workstation but cx-programmer or integrator doesn't find it yet. Maybe problem with port? Or does ftp server work without routing table settings? I can also connect both plc's through ethernet on cx-one integrator if I connect my laptop with programming cable on either plc. So.. I think it must be something with router. Oh and yeah I figure I have to check with compo it was. There's remote I/O modules though so there must be compobus/s at least but now I'm not sure about compoway.. I really need to check that later on.

You definitely will need Auto:Dynamic mode. If there are manual entries in the FINS to IP table, they may be there for a reason, so try to determine if they are in use before changing to Auto:Dynamic. It sounds like your IP Router table is OK, as it points to the PLC side of the router, which is what you want. If changing to Auto:Dynamic does not solve the issue, you will need to work with IT to understand the router.

Is dynamic only mode which could work? Or could I try mixed mode? Should I also have both plc's configured on each plc's adress table? I think another plc is missing some nodes on adress table. Anyway, I think router is part of the problem when connecting my programmer.