Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

free server connections for beginner-level exercises ...

2 posts in this topic

there's probably not going to be much interest in this subject - except maybe from students who are trying to learn basic HMI concepts as inexpensively as possible ... one hurdle to accomplishing those objectives is that a suitable "server" software is necessary but not "inexpensive" ... for example: the free download version of RSLinx Lite won't work because it won't do DDE/OPC ... for that, you need a non-Lite version - which costs money ... so ... KepWare does have a free downloadable "server" software package that runs for 2 hours in demo mode ... then you just start it up again ... using that approach, a student should be able to set up a small DF1 network with (for example) a MicroLogix1000 and then work up some VB (for example) experiments in writing and reading data to and from the processor ... for free ... or ... use something like Wonderware InTouch if a "run in demo mode" version is available ... (I have an older version which will run as a 2 hour demo ... I couldn't find a current version on their website after a brief look - but there might be one there that I didn’t find) ... anyway ... here are some screen shots to show the syntax necessary to set this up for anyone who'd like to give it a shot ... ask if you have questions ... I'm not going to spend the time describing it all unless someone is definitely interested ... there are more examples (for Excel, InTouch, etc.) in the .ZIP file attached ... DISCLAIMER: this is NOT (I repeat NOT) intended to be the "right way" or the "best way" to make this sort of connection ... it is just ONE way that I have found to set up a "beginner level" system to cover the basic concepts for free ... your mileage may vary ... party on ... KEP_pictures.zip

If you have any question about KepserverEX you can contact our support center for free via e-mail. (technical.Support@kepware.com). We also have many examples and white papers on line that you can download. i do advise looking at our VB example code which will show you how to do OPC connections to the server. Fred Loveless Senior Applicaiton Engineer Kepware Technologies http:\\www.kepware.com