Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
svetli78

OPC HVAC setpoint scheduler/optimizer

4 posts in this topic

At our plant we have many HVAC systems that are running more or less continuously. Since we have energy cost reduction programs on site we are planning to implement a system that would manage this HVAC equipment as efficiently as possible. The idea was to remotely control HVAC machinery by setting setpoints for operating parameters (temperature) dynamically depending on different preconditions like (outside temperature, scheduler, manual override, ..). HVAC would than work on diferent regimes thus more energy efficient. All the equipment is controlled on different industrial PLC platforms with FIX/iFIX SCADA system on top. Since FIX/iFIX database can act as OPC server I thought to make an OPC client which will be capable to manage operating parameters in conjunction to predefined routine (calculation) or scheduler (SQL database). I would like to ask you guys, before we start to make our custom software supporting such functionality, if anybody knows for an off shelf product like that? Have you ever deal with similar problematics? Please make some comments! Regards , Miran Edited by svetli78

If you required data processing outside of what an HMI would normally do, as suggested by your post, there are several off the shelf products available that may suit your needs. If you require complex calculations or routines in conjunction with OPC connectivity, OPC Calculator may be your best bet: http://matrikonopc.com/products/opc-data-m...calculator.aspx If you need connectivity to a relational database like SQL or Oracle with OPC, there's the OPC Server for Generic Database Access (GDA). http://matrikonopc.com/opc-drivers/1756/index.aspx These are general recommendations based on your requirements. Clarification on exact architecture/functionality desired may change the products or connections that I'd recommend. Adriel Michaud MatrikonOPC

Adriel, thanks for your input. Yes we want to implement standalone system outside to any HMI. Best would be application that would run in a web browser, that would simplify distribution of software to users. SQL database would include hierarchic HVAC systems structure (PLANT->Production Line->HVAC System id -> Control loop id -> setpoint) Scheduler software would than write tag values to predefined OPC source at desired moments to desired values…. With “off the self product” I meant software that does all or partial of required functionality (setpoint scheduler). This OPC server products will require a lot of additional effort to implement the function. Any clue if such/similar a software is already implemented somewhere?

Based on the posts, I don't have a solid idea of how you want the system to operate. Could you provide an example of what you mean here? Are the "desired moments" user configurable or preset? Are they based on a calandar, time interval, user action, process information, or a combination? What about the dynamic setpoints based on preconditions? It's important that you figure out exactly how you want this system to function in order to simplify the setup. This will get you a lot farther than "shotgunning" features that seem appropriate in the "idea" phase. I'd recommend writing a list of "rules" for how the system should behave. I bet you'll be surprised in what a "plain" HMI coupled with a PLC can accomplish.