Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sjamison

DH485 Connection to 9-pin Serial

5 posts in this topic

I am trying to connect to a Allen Bradley SLC 500 which has a DH485 connection (RJ45). I have a wireless serial device that has a 9-pin connector that can accept RS232 or RS485 connections. The wireless device then gets sent to an OPC server. What kind of cable or convertor do I need to connect the SLC 500 to the wireless device?

Exactly which model of SLC-500 controller are you using ? The SLC-5/00, /01, and /02 only have a DH485 network port. The SLC-5/03 has both a DH485 network port and an RS232 port. The SLC-5/04 has DH+ and RS232, the SLC-5/05 has Ethernet and RS232. Only the RS232 ports are appropriate for wireless connections because they use an asynchronous protocol called DF1. DH485 protocol cannot be run over any kind of conventional wireless system because of the timing requirements of the network transmission control. The 1747-KE module provides conversion between DF1 and DH485 for asynchronous access to DH485 networks. There may be other options based on what you actually have installed.

It is a SLC 5/01 and only has the DH485 port. Would I have to use the 1747-KE module to convert the DH485 to DF1 in order to connect it to the wireless defice?

wouldn't he just want a good old PIC module?

I have a 1747-pic cable that I can use to connect directly to the PLC from a computer with RSLogix because I use the drive for it but I don't think I can use the cable when connecting to the wireless device because it reads only RS232 or RS485 and then transfers it to the OPC server.