Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RDengtech

Omron Zen

6 posts in this topic

I just purchased an Omron Zen starter kit and and want to know of good books or such that will teach me the basics of ladder logic programming for it. It is the 12V unit and I will intially use it to shift an automatic Toyota transmission that I current shift using multiple switches, a relay and 4 diodes. I am an Engineering Techinician at a large company and am learning Elec. on the side, I always am trying to learn new. I have a strong knowledge in electrics as I have wired my shop, wired my house for whole house audio and video and internet. But that is just running wires to the right components. The ladder logic relays are were I see a need to learn more of the specifics. The solenoid pattern is: 1st-ON#1 & OFF#2 2nd-ON#1 & ON#2 3rd-OFF#1 & ON#2 4th-OFF#1 & OFF#2 I was wanting to use a 1 monentary on switch for each sequential upshift and a 2nd switch for each sequential down shift. Just incase anyone can steer me in the right direction. RD Clarkston, WA

RDengtech, Take a look at the following site: http://www.zen.omron.co.jp/eng/index.html It contains a lot of sample code as well as both the programming and operation manuals for the Zen. The Zen Software (ZEN-SOFT01-V4) also contains a simulation utility which is quite handy for learning up on this product. I do have a small word of caution with the Zen. Unlike a PLC which executes Left - Right, Top to Bottom the Zen executes all rungs from left to right at the same time,therefore, sequential operations in the same scan are not possible. Additional logic may be required to account for above Hope this helps and good luck. MiniH

"The solenoid pattern is: 1st-ON#1 & OFF#2 2nd-ON#1 & ON#2 3rd-OFF#1 & ON#2 4th-OFF#1 & OFF#2" Well I have gotten the above sequence, and have gotten the reversing sequence from the last set done. Now I am working on being able to change directions in the middle of the sequnce and still being to go forward again without skipping any steps. Less than two weeks learning to program and it's coming around. RD

RDengtech, Well it sounds like you did your homework. If I were to design a Zen program based on what I understand to be your application, it would look like the following: TransmissionSeq.pdf Don't know if this is exactly what you wanted,but, it may help to solve the application. Cheers

[Don't know if this is exactly what you wanted,but, it may help to solve the application. Cheers Edited by RDengtech

Does anyone know what signal a Toyota distributor sends to the tachometer, I want to use rpm to be able to optionally activate the shift program. What would I use to check the signal? The Zen is currently shifting my A340 flawlessly, thanks for the help MiniH. These little Zens are quite the toy, Oh what fun. RD