Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mracer

Micrologix 1100 on modbus & Ethernet question

5 posts in this topic

I am setting up a PowerFlex 4, a ML1100 and a PV+400 for a small project. I have the ML1100 Ch1 set up to use the Ethernet port. Ch0 will be Modbus to the Powerflex using a 1763-NC01 I have a Ethernet switch I will be using for the PV+400 and the ML1100. I I have other ML1100's on out network at work and they are working well. I have set the port setting to IP 10.100.8.62, sub 255.255.255.0 and gateway set to 0.0.0.0. If I plug the laptop into the switch I can't see the Ml1100 with RSLinks Classic. I have tried a cross over cable to thinking maybe that is what I needed. What am I missing?? Also is there somewhere I can find information the Modbus Data address's for the Powerflex? I have looked in the users manual for the drive but can't seem to find where these address's are listed. I have the sample program that is on AB's Knowledge Base that shows some of them but I will need more for this project. Thanks as always for the help. Marv.

To get the bit format of the drive, look in the user manual in I think it is appendix B in the RS 485 "parameter configuration" section. As for seeing the ML 1100 in Linx. Did you go into Linx and configure an ethernet driver for that IP address?

I think I have what I am looking for on the drive. Yes, I set up the Ethernet driver just like I did for all the other ones. Thats what has me stumped. If I have the laptop connected right to the ML1100, using a null/cross connected cable, I should be able to see it right?

Let's do Ethernet troubleshooting 101. You have other MicroLogix 1100's "on the network at work" and you can browse those with RSLinx Classic. What is the IP address on your PC, here on the bench where you are setting this up ? The most common mistake I see when setting up things on your bench is that you are using a different DHCP server (or none) than the one on the main factory network. The factory might give you a 10.100.8.xxx address, but on the bench you're using a local DHCP server and you get a 192.168.1.xxx address, or you don't get an IP address at all and revert to an "autoconfigured" address. Once you are sure your PC has an IP address on the same subnet as the MicroLogix, first try using PING and then a web browser pointed at the IP address of the MicroLogix. If you have both PING and the web browser working, and RSLinx still doesn't, you can start looking at firewalls and EDS files and driver configuration. Edited by Ken Roach

Thanks Ken, That jogged my memory to the point I remembered what I had not done. I needed to set up my laptop with an IP and not get it from the network. Marv.