Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
texastig

Watch out for Dell Laptops and Wonderware.

7 posts in this topic

Watch out for Dell Laptops and Wonderware. Dell started installing Embassy Trust Suite on their Latitude laptops. It doesn't let Wonderware run the Viewer or Maker. You have to uninstall Embassy Trust Suite. Later.

What is Embassy Trust Suite anyway? Just ordered a few Latitude D830s. Many of you will be happy to hear that they have a serial port on the back.

lol, If you didn't want to kill me already ... don't those USB adapters sometimes work and sometimes not with PLCs? I've never heard of the PCMCIA serial adapters not working. Dell still sells lots of laptops without them - I'm sure you'll do fine ;)

I have sold many and have not ever had one not work or returned, these are recommended by Allen Bradley, I have used them with several different types of PLCs and other applications I have been working on a dos6.2 project that I am still going to try it on when I get time, if it works... I will update

You have real-mode USB drivers? Never heard of such a thing

Another DELL LAPTOP thing: I'm sitting in a hotel that has a high speed Internet service. I can pick up an IP address every time via DHCP. I can get to the portal page that authenticates you for public access, but I can't ping my default gateway...humm. So I call their MIS department and describe the situation to the helpdesk guy. His first question, "You're using a Dell Laptop, aren't you". DOWW, my personnal laptop is a decked out XPS M1210! He explains that their Cisco equipment has random problems with some Dell laptops - that's a new one for me! What a great guy - he gives me a static IP address, then I'm off to more forum posting! Edited by Nathan