Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wandering

Total amperage consumption 3 phase

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, I know this is not a AB question, but I use and admire AB lots. I am looking at installing three current transducers on section of switch gear on remote bussbar. I am using SLC-5/03 analog inputs from CT's Rsview32 Question?? Do I add all three readings to get total consumption? and how would you convert that to real time forecast of power cost? Say amps usage times a adjustable variable such as milliage rate? Thanks for any and all help or Examples

Amperage consumption? Are you looking to measure energy consumption? That would be joules or Killowatt-hours, and a simple amp meter is not up to the task. You need a power meter.

Yes I know, (or need to know!) Years ago (1984-91) my Father used to get a pulse from electric coop meter each revolution and convert it to consumption and curtail various machines(enable use) via cutler hammer MPC plc(not very smart plc, circa 1980's). I am trying to learn power consumption and my mind sees Einstein's theory as amp readings should be in direct proportion to usage. I probably am wrong but couldn't we get close with amp readings. Average plant Average power Average infrastructure Average readings?? I believe I still have my old program saved my Father used( not stored, printed). I still have a programmer and a stack of old eeproms we made backups with. I often look over his notes and gain from them, I would love for him to see where we've come. The main thing client is looking for is ability to destinguish what areas are using more energy. I know there are lots of ways(check all data on machines, usage time budgeted for process,etc... I will continue to read and learn. This is a great site and I do enjoy and learn from reading.

Watt-hour From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Redirected from Kilowatt-hour)• Interested in contributing to Wikipedia? •Jump to: navigation, search “KWH” redirects here. For other uses, see KWH (disambiguation). The watt-hour (symbol W·h or Wh) is a unit of energy. It is most commonly used on household electricity meters in the form of the kilowatt-hour (kW·h or kWh), which is 1,000 watt-hours. It is not used in the International System of Units (SI), despite being based on the watt, as the hour is not an SI unit. The SI unit of energy is the joule (J), equal to one watt-second. It is, however, a commonly used unit, especially for measuring electric energy. 1 watt-hour is equivalent to 3,600 joules (1 W x 3600 s), the joule being the canonical SI unit of energy. Thus a kilowatt-hour is 3,600,000 joules or 3.6 megajoules. Contents [hide] 1 Definition 1.1 Pricing for kilowatt-hours 1.2 Confusions in the use of watt-hours 1.3 Other expressions of the watt-hour 2 Multiples 3 Conversions 4 See also 5 External links [edit] Definition One watt-hour is the amount of (usually electrical) energy expended by a one-watt load (e.g., light bulb) drawing power for one hour. Laymen and utilities tend to use watt-hours to measure energy rather than joules (J), for reasons of convenience and intuition. For example, a light bulb draws power (units of watts) over a certain amount of time, resulting in a net amount of used energy; a watt has units of energy-per-time, and an hour is a convenient unit for measuring time, so when multiplied together they produce a unit of energy called the watt-hour. The watt-hour is derived from the multiplication of the SI unit of power (watt) and a non-SI unit of time (hour). In simple terms, it means the amount of power (watts) used for any given number of hours. A lightbulb that needs 50 J of energy per second to light up (50 watts) will consume 500 watt-hours of energy if left on for 10 hours. The kilowatt-hour is commonly used for electrical and natural gas energy. Many electric utility companies use the kilowatt-hour for billing. This is a convenient unit because the energy usage of a typical home in one month is several hundred kilowatt-hours. In addition, the typical consumer can readily conceptualize the notion of "using a kilowatt for one hour.” Megawatt-hours are used for metering of larger amounts of electrical energy. For example, a power plant's daily output is likely to be measured in megawatt-hours. [edit] Pricing for kilowatt-hours Power companies sell energy in units of kilowatt-hours.In general, energy (E) is equivalent to power (P) multiplied by time (t). To determine E in kilowatt-hours, P must be expressed in kilowatts and t must be expressed in hours. Suppose a 1.5-kW electric heater runs for 3 h. Then P = 1.5 and t = 3, so the energy E in kilowatt-hours is: E = Pt = 1.5 x 3 = 4.5 kWh If P and t are not specified in kilowatts and hours respectively, then they must be converted to those units before determining E in kilowatt-hours. Consider a set-up with one 100 W light bulb (0.1 kW) left on for 10 hours per day. This will consume 1 kilowatt-hour per day (0.1 kW x 10 h). If a power company charges $0.10/kW·h, then this light bulb will cost $0.70 to operate over the course of a week (0.1 kW x 10 h x $0.10/kW·h x 7 days in a week) (see unit juggling for more information). [edit] Confusions in the use of watt-hours Some sources mistakenly refer to the watt-hour in terms of "power." A similar confusion can arise when describing daily or yearly energy use. For example, a solar cell array might have a peak power output of 100 watts, but in order to give an indication of its usable output as a function of time-varying conditions (such as the apparent daily solar motion, or dust collection on the surface), its typical energy output might be described as "1200 watt-hours per day," the latter actually having dimensions of power. [edit] Other expressions of the watt-hour Another derived unit that is sometimes used for household purposes is the kWh/yr., usually considered in annual energy consumption calculations, but with the dimensions of power, with 1 kWh/yr. = 0.114 W. Note that this unit uses three units of time in one unit, namely second, hour and year, of which only the first is an SI unit. The Board of Trade Unit or B.O.T.U. is an obsolete UK synonym for kilowatt-hour. The term derives from the name of the Board of Trade that regulated the electricity industry. The B.O.T.U. should not be confused with the British thermal unit or BTU, which is a much smaller quantity of thermal energy. Burnup of nuclear fuel is normally quoted in megawatt days per ton (MWd/MTU), where ton refers to a metric ton of uranium metal or its equivalent, and megawatt refers to the entire thermal output, not the fraction which is recovered as electricity. [edit] Multiples Kilo-, mega-, giga-, and tera- are the most-used prefixes. Multiple Name Symbol Multiple Name Symbol 100 watt-hour W·h 103 kilowatt-hour kW·h 10–3 milliwatt-hour mW·h 106 megawatt-hour MW·h 10–6 microwatt-hour µW·h 109 gigawatt-hour GW·h 10–9 nanowatt-hour nW·h 1012 terawatt-hour TW·h 10–12 picowatt-hour pW·h 1015 petawatt-hour PW·h 10–15 femtowatt-hour fW·h 1018 exawatt-hour EW·h 10–18 attowatt-hour aW·h 1021 zettawatt-hour ZW·h 10–21 zeptowatt-hour zW·h 1024 yottawatt-hour YW·h 10–24 yoctowatt-hour yW·h [edit] Conversions from / to Joule Watt-hour Electronvolt Calorie 1 J = 1 kg m2 s-2 = 1 0.278 × 10?3 6.241 × 1018 0.239 1 W·h = 3600 1 2.247 × 1022 859.8 1 eV = 1.602 × 10?19 4.45 × 10?23 1 3.827 × 10?20 1 cal = 4.1868 1.163 × 10?3 2.613 × 1019 1 [edit] See also Ampere-hour Orders of magnitude (energy) [edit] External links Power and Energy in the Home - The Trustworthy Cyber Infrastructure for the Power Grid (TCIP) group at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has developed an applet which illustrates the consumption and cost of energy in the home, and allows the user to see the effects of manipulating the flow of electricity to

Well, now that you've cut and pasted a bit from Wikipedia, hopefully you understand the difference between measuring amps and measuring energy consumption. Energy is measured in Joules. Energy flow rate is measure in watts and that is power. One watt is one joule per second. Multiply that by a time unit (such as hours) and you have the amount of energy consumed during that time, ie KWH, which is the unit of energy billing used by US utilities. 1KWH is 3,600,000 joules (which is why KWH is commonly used because joules are small) and represents 1,000 watts for 1 hour, or 1000 joules per second for 3600 seconds. To measure energy consumption with your PLC you need a device which either measures power flow and computes energy consumption for you and communicates that to the PLC via some method (like a pulse), or a device that measures power flow and you computes the energy consumption in your PLC by measuring power flow over a discrete time period and totalizing the results. Such a device will use three CTs and it will also have three voltage measurement connections to each leg to measure A-B, B-C, and C-A voltages. One company that supplies these kinds of instruments is Ohio Semitronics - I've used their gear for years. When you read amps alone you simply do not haave the information available to compute power flow, and without power flow information you cannot compute energy consumption. Also, you might want to study up on reactive power and active power before you attempt to meter energy consumption.