Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cshaley

1784-PCIC Controlnet Interface Card

1 post in this topic

I've got a CLX system with a controlnet network. I need to pull some tag values out of the PLC, crunch some numbers with a proprietary piece of C++ software, and then plug the values back into the PLC. I figure there's two ways to do this. I could use OPC through RSLinx, or install a 1784-PCIC card in the PC. I've read that OPC may not be ideal for applications where speed could be an issue, so I'm leaning towards the 1784-PCIC option. We also have an ethernet module, so I guess that's also an option. The datasheet for the 1784-PCIC claims "the ability to write your own data collection application in Visual Basic, C++, etc. using the RSLinx standard API." I have RSLinx Professional, will I have to buy a Software Development Kit to gain access to the API? I would hope there's some documentation and code samples for using the API, but I can't tell from the datasheet. Anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback on using the 1784-PCIC, or any general comments on what I'm trying to accomplish. By the way, I also looked at this card : SST Card , but I haven't had any luck even getting a quote from them.