Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
autocontrolit

1747-SDN DH485 port?

5 posts in this topic

Anyone know why it has a DH485 port on it? I am looking for the manual right now, but sometimes asking the question first is worth more than the days of research with Allen Bradley to find the answer I could have only got from asking to begin with. This is the first 1747-SDN I have seen with the DH485 port in it, I am assuming it is because it is a Series A. I have only dealt with Series B in the 1747 series. Thanks in advance.

You know, I have seen that before and wondered the same thing. Is it really a DH485 port? Can you see anything in who active if you connect a PIC or PCM4 to it? I'll have to look and see if I still have a copy of devicenet manager, it might have support for it

It is a true DH485 port, I have not been online with it yet. I just dropped it in my test station, I could find nothing in the manual referring to it. Only one of the illustrations pictured it, I was hoping one of the AB experts on here knew more about it. I'll let you know what if anything I find out about it.

The 1747-SDN Series A modules, produced in about 1995-1996, had a vestigial DH485 port on them. The hardware is there, but the firmware to implement DH485 on the module was never completed.

makes you wonder what they were thinking at the time. I wonder if they didn't expect to have a PC interface ready by the time the SDN was released, and planned on letting you access the network with a PIC module. It's kind of a pity that never came to fruition.