Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vanilla_gorilla

CLX data transfer to MS SQL

4 posts in this topic

Fellow control engineers... We have an upcoming application where a CLX platform has to pass data to and from an SQL Server. This machine will be in manufacturing and will be passing lot data, time start etc information. There is an idea kicking around of using Online Development Inc's XCoupler and Xcoupler Workbench configuration tool (http://www.oldi.com/index.htm) Now there is or could be an Ethernet Module (tcp/ip) or two in the CLX rack, and I was wondering if we really needed a "bridge" if we could fire the data out on enet and capture with some coding on the SQL side ? Anyone have any experience doing this type of data transfer, what does and doesn't work, things to avoid etc etc... Any opinions or advice is welcome at this point ! Thx

Have you thought about using the EWEB module? Look into XML Dataviews, because you might be able to directly link it with the SQL Server. Good place to start is the EWEB User Manual (Rockwell Doc id ENET-UM527E), chapter 4. You could also use the Open Socket interface of the module to push a TCP/UDP stream out to the DB server. Though I've never attempted sending streams to an SQL server, it seems like it should work well for your application. Edited by bkpsu

The conventional method to exchange data between controllers and SQL databases is an SQL Transaction Manager. Rockwell's transaction manager is RSSQL. Other vendors of HMI and MES software have their own. This is a well-trod path. Many thousands of systems use an OPC Server and an SQL Transaction Manager for this kind of application.

I have used both RSSQl and FactorySQL from Inductive Automation, and FactorySQL is very easy to use, and very powerful. If you need 2 way data, this is what u need to use.