Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ifriarod

1756-M02AE, Firmware Upgrade

8 posts in this topic

Hi to all again. I have a 1-1756-L55 Processor, 1-1756-ENBT/A and 6-1756-M02AE/A. Yesterday, upgraded the firmware of the processor, from V-15 to V-16, everything was fine. Using the ethernet card. But when i try to upgrade the M02AE/A, i can no do that, when i try i get this in the inmediate window on RSLogix 5K, V16: ========================================================================== Flashing module with C:\Archivos de programa\ControlFLASH\0001\0010\0003\99523201.NVS... Path to module: AB_ETHIP-1\10.0.0.101\Backplane\4 Serial Number: 002E32EF Current Revision: 15.1 New Revision: 16.1 [sUCCESS] Load Driver: C:\Archivos de programa\Archivos comunes\Rockwell\AB_ASA.DLL [sUCCESS] Initialize Driver: C:\Archivos de programa\Archivos comunes\Rockwell\AB_ASA.DLL [sUCCESS] Device Path: DEVELOPER-3!AB_ETHIP-1\10.0.0.101\Backplane\4 [sUCCESS] Load Script: C:\Archivos de programa\ControlFLASH\0001\0010\0003\99523201.NVS [sUCCESS] Program: Product Name = 0010, Serial Number = 002E32EF, Num Updates = 2, Size = 131580 byte(s). [sUCCESS] Update: Instance = 2, Size = 131072 byte(s), Chunk Size = 64 byte(s). [FAILURE] Transfer: File = C:\Archivos de programa\ControlFLASH\0001\0010\0003\99523101.bin, Chunk = 1. ============================================================================= I did something wrong, because when i was doing the firmware update to one M02AE/A, the comm failed, now is "another brick on my desk". Another question: Why i can not upgrade the firmware with ControlFLASH Upgrade Kit 6.0; when i try i can not see more than V15; but whe i use RSLogix 5K, trying to download the new program, i see a Upgrade Firmware Button, from there it is possible to do the upgrade V15 -> V16, without problem. Am I missing something? Thanks for any help. Isaias Frias Rodriguez

I've had occasional failures when flashing MO2AE's. Usually, a second attempt is successful. On 1 or 2 occasions, moving the module to a different slot seemed necessary to get over the problem. I can't explain it -- sometimes persistence pays off.

have you gone to the rockwell site and looked for mo2ae Control flash 1) read the version.pdf! Did you inhibit the module before downloading? 2) this is where to ge to get the latest firmware I have never bricked one and I have 3 machines with them on that have gone from V11 to v12, v13 and then v15, some spare cards have gone down in version as well - Where possible i used a ethernet card to flash up mike

When flash upgrading motion modules, always inhibit or disconnect any I/O connections they have to the CPU. I usually remove the controller, then cycle power to the chassis before beginning a flash upgrade of a motion module. Rockwell Automation Knowbase Answer ID # 25124 covers this aspect of the Motion module upgrade procedure. I've never seen one actually "bricked"; I have always been able to restart the flash upgrade.

Thanks Guys I did all things you tell me. And i read the answers of KB, but i still have the same problem. I do not know what to do. At the moment i selected on ElectronicKey as "Disable". I hope to fix the problem soon. Thanks again, if you guys have another tip, is welcome. Isaias Frias

We have seen bricked M02AS and HYD02, but surprisingly not that many. Not when you think of all the thousands out there. I think users panic and interrupt the flash sequence or power goes out. I would bet that the M02AE track record is similar. We have never had problems flashing a motion module and I am sure we have flashed more motion modules than any body outside of Rockwell. Once the motion module is 'bricked" there is nothing you can do except for send it back to have the moduled reflashed or reprogrammed. It takes special development equipment to do this. Edited by Peter Nachtwey

Thanks for your help. Next weekend i will try, to do again. At the moment i will continue with a Disable Key feature enable. Thanks Again Isaias Frias Rguez

At last, i did it. Today i tried to do the same thing in another project again; with the same results. The original M02AE card have firmware with 3.10 revision; then i upgraded to 15.00 then i tried to upgrade to v 16; with the same result. Then with other brand new card; tried to upgrade from 3.10 version directly to v16, and the upgrade work correctly. With the last card, i downgraded the firmware from v15 to v3 again, then i repeat the process and worked perfectly. Hope this thing help to somebody. Thanjs guys. Isaias Frias Rodriguez