Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jan.krajniak

RSLogix and RSView Tag integration

5 posts in this topic

Hello all: This might be a stupid question to everybody here, but my team and I are just beginners in PLC programming. At this point we are trying to integrate a ladder logic program (which is mostly finished except for some fine-tuning and wrong use of functions :) ) with our HMI design so that we can test the complete controller setup. However, we just can't figure out how to establish a connection between a tag created in RSView and a tag created in RSLogix. We have tried the export/import tag wizard in RSView and RSLogix, but it seem like the wizard is only supposed to import/export tags from "the same software". Can anybody point us in the right direction/laugh at us and tell us where to go look for the info? Thank you very much! Jan

Maybe you're misunderstanding the role of the RSView software. It is made to read and write data values from tags in a controller, not tags in an RSLogix file. You cannot test an RSView (or any other HMI application, for that matter) without having a controller or a controller emulator. To get into this further, you need to do some specifying: Which version of RSView ? There's RSView32, RSView ME (Machine Edition), and RSView SE (Supervisory Edition). Which version of RSLogix ? There's RSLogix 500 (for SLC/MicroLogix controllers), RSLogix 5 (for PLC-5 controllers) and RSLogix 5000 for the ControlLogix family of controller. (also: GO GATORS !)

First of all, GOOO GATORS!!!!! As far as the topic goes, you are correct, a "misunderstanding" occured (different than what you think, but it lead to the same result :) ). Essentially, before we could have our HMI edit tag values for our controller, we had to "connect" the HMI tags to the PLC tags. However, the person who was responsible for that part of the project was not able to do so, because the PLC tags were not showing up within RSView. So, we tried various methods (among them the whole exporting - and you correctly pointed out that was stupid - you put it in nicer terms :) ), and failed until we realized that the PLC has to be in a specific mode for us to be able to do what we need to do. So that problem is fixed, but thank you very much for your input Ken! However, I do have another question, and you might be able to help we with this. Essentially, we have 4 modes of operation: Remote Auto, Local auto, Manual, Shutdown. Within the HMI, a menu provides the option to select each of those operating modes (by turning the corresponding PLC tag on). However, what we would also like for the HMI to do is to turn off all the other tags (i.e. when I select "Local Auto", the Local Auto tag is set to 1, but the Remote Auto, Manual, and Shutdown tags are simultaneously set to 0). Do you know if there is a way to do this (i.e. run a macro or set up some if statements?). If there is, could you please point us to where this can be done (PLEASE DON'T tell me HOW it can be done, we are trying to "do this ourselves"). THank you very much, I really appreciate your help. By the way, we are using RSView ME. Thanks again, Jan

In RSView ME you can have "radio buttons" that will do what you want. However, you should consider whether there are any potential timing or sequence issues associated with this approach that might foul up your PLC logic.

Thanks a lot Gerry. Yeah, we have been thinking about the fouling of the logic. It seems that if first the tags you want turned on are turned on and then the remaining tags are turned off, the logic stays steady.