Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TANO

pdf file in panelview plus 700

7 posts in this topic

Hello, I starting to work with FactoryTalk View Studio. I'm programing an PanelView Plus 700 (2711P-T7C4D9) without big problems, One thinks that I can't do is to open a PDF file. I try to use the activX control, so my quastions are the following: PDF file I'm starting to work with FactoryTalk View Studio. I'm programing a PanelView Plus 700 (2711P-T7C4D9) without big problems, One thinks that I can't do is to open a PDF file. I'm trying to use the activX control, so my questions are the following: 1. - I need to use ME Program launcher or Adobe PDF reader? 2. - How can I download the file PDF to the panel or I need to put this PDF file in a USB or CF Card. 3. - The panel is a Windows CE panel, then, it is possible to open Windows CE on the panel or not? I used the simulation of FactoryTalk View Studio and was possible to open a PDF file For example I used the ME Program launcher activX control with the followinfg settings: - Program Location ="C:\Programmi\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" - ProgramParameter = "C:\2012E395.pdf" - FocusEnable = 0 - NewIntance: = 0 But I don't now how to do when iI will do the same think but using the Panel. Tank a lot for the help Best Regards Alejandro

This is one of those features that runs a little differently on the PV+ than on your PC, because the programs and the file paths are different. The PanelView Plus 6 includes an open-source PDF Reader called FoxIt Reader. That will be the program that you open with the ActiveX Program Launcher. The system already knows the path, so you just refer to the program as "foxitreader" rather than as the entire file path. On the PV+ terminal, the internal storage and external storage do not have drive letters like they do on your computer. I like to store my PDF files on the removable storage card, which is "\Storage Card2". You need to put the path in quotes because of the space character in the path. There is a good section starting on Page 98 in the User Manual for the PV+6 (2711P-UM006) that discusses the syntax for using the PDF reader. The file paths and exact entry field syntax in the ActiveX are the tricky part. RA Knowledgebase Article ID #121273 (TechConnect required) has a very thorough example that I used to implement PDF viewers on my application. One hint about ActiveX objects; they have to be visible to run, and appear as white rectangles on screen. So I place them slightly OFF-screen to the right, with a couple of text objects that describe what they do. They will not appear on the PanelView display, but they will be technically 'onscreen' from the perspective of the FactoryTalk View runtime.

Hello Ken, Thank you mery muche for your reply. You explain very clear how work this, and thank for the reference manuals. I'm waiting for the password to open the "RA Knowledgebase Article ID #121273". I have last question if you can help me. I put the pdf flie in my USB en configure the teh activX control like this: ProgramLocation = "foxitreader" ProgramParameter = "\USB Storage\uno.pdf" FocusEnable = 0 NewInstance = 0 When I try to open the PDF file from the panel, the program Foxitreader start but the file does not open and i see the message "THERE WAS AN ERROR OPENING THIS DOCUMENT. SHARING VIOLATION." The same think happen when I copy the file under the folder "Program Files" with the following configuration in the ME Program Launcher (activX control) ProgramLocation = "foxitreader" ProgramParameter = "\Program Files\uno.pdf" FocusEnable = 0 NewInstance = 0 I search in internet this message and I find the next: "This happens during the conversion if the file is already open in Word or another application." But I'm not using or open the file in another part or with another program. The file PDF is not damage because I open the file directly form the windows explorer in the panel using Foxitreader. Thanks again for your help and sorry for my english, but is not my language. Best regards Alejandro

Hello again, I do another test. Instead of use: ProgramParameter = "\Program Files\uno.pdf" (I put the path in quotes because I have space character in the path.like you writed in your post) I used the next: ProgramParameter = "\PDFFiles\uno.pdf". I mean, when I don't use the space between Porgram and File all work OK. Now, my problem is when I have the PDF file in the USB. In this case I need to write "USB Storage\xxx.pdf" with a space between USB and Storage right? If so I can't use the USB to open PDF file or I mistake something? I put the path in quotes because I have space character in the path. Best regards Alejandro

I am actually using String-type HMI Tags to hold the Program Location and Program Parameter strings. For the Program Launcher ActiveX that is running on my PanelView Plus terminal: Program Location = \Windows\FoxItReader.exe Program Parameter = "\Storage Card2\UserManual_rev2.pdf" My Program Location does not have quotes around it because there are no spaces. My Program Parameter does have quotes around it because there is a space in "Storage Card2". According to what I have read in the User Manual, the USB Storage volumes are named "USB Storage2", "USB Storage3", etc. Because there is no onboard volume called "USB Storage", the first device you plug in will be "USB Storage2", so your path should be "USB Storage2\xxx.pdf" Because of this ambiguity, I prefer to store my PDF files on the removable SD card, which is always "Storage Card2". Edited by Ken Roach

Thanks again for you repaly. Ok, now is working. The problem was that I write directly the string in the ME Program Launchera. When i see what you wrote: "I am actually using String-type HMI Tags to hold the Program Location and Program Parameter strings", I creat the Tag and all satrt to work. I realy appreciate your help. Thank you Regards Alejandro

Hi, I have never tried Adobes products to manipulate PDF files. Most of their products are too expensive. I am testing with another PDF processor these days. I am not very sure thats whether it can help. But I hope you success. Good luck. Best regards, Arron