Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fundage23

Unitronics Vision230 PLC with ethernet

2 posts in this topic

I have a Unitronics Vision230 PLC with an ethernet port that should allow me PC access via SCADA. I have hooked the PLC up to my company's network via it's ethernet port to an ethernet jack. I am trying to communicate to the PLC using a SCADA program on my PC (also on the network). So far, I have had no success communicating with the PLC. I can't even ping the PLC's IP address (assigned by my company's IT dept.) from any other computer on the network. I can ping the PLC when I connect directly to it's ethernet port with a laptop. I am wondering if anyone knows why I cannot connect to the PLC over my company's network? My company uses DHCP for it's networking, and I believe it is a class B network. I was told that DHCP could be a problem with this PLC, since it needs a static IP to work. We've tried assigning the PLC's IP address to correspond to it's MAC address. We also tried just telling the network to not give out the PLC's IP, so that way when the PLC connects to the network, it should be able to say I'm here and this is my IP address. Nothing has worked so far. Any ideas?

Make sure you are using a straight through patch cable when connecting to the network (as opposed to a cross over patch cable when connected directly PC to PLC). Failing this email Unitronics support, I have always found them very helpful