pjindent

SCADA for power systems

2 posts in this topic

I am new to SCADA and want to understand its links to other energy management systems in the power industry.  

Specifically, in the power (electricity generation) industry my understanding is that there are SCADA systems connected to generators or generating stations.  For example a coal plant, wind plant, diesel plant will have a SCADA that records MW output, frequency voltage, etc.

The control center gets data feeds from all the SCADA systems.  

Question:  Does the control center have a SCADA systems and a Energy Management System (EMS)?  or does it have just EMS?  or does EMS contain SCADA?  Is dispatching done using EMS?  Are instructions from EMS sent to different SCADA systems at generating plants?

Would appreciate answers to these and if there are good pictures that illustrate the interconnection and functionality, it would be very helpful.

thanks

I think you would discover that each company does things differently but typically in the United States the ISO (independent system operator ) publishes a Target KW every 5 minutes. The operators Energy Management System picks up the dispatch from the ISO (California uses a secure certificates web server) and then transmits setpoint commands to its power plants via a SCADA system. An RTU at the power station end of the circuit will transfer the dispatch setpoint to a PLC in the power plant that does the actual ramping of the station generation up or down t keep pace with the dispatch notice.

The EMS collects data from the SCADA system for report generation that accountants use for billing 

www.archestrabasics.com 

Edited by cbvance
Spelling