Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cox Mendes

ISA 100 Wireless Standard

2 posts in this topic

Hi All, I´m starting evaluating the use of ISA100 standard devices for wireless communications. Does anyone has already experienced using ISA100 devices ? Are they a replaceble option for N e G radios like the Prosoft ones ? My goal is to have access to 8 remote PLC´s over wireless running an intelock control. Rds Mendes

ISA 100 is primarily designed for wireless communication between battery powered process field instruments to a powered gateway, using wireless mesh tactics. Access to field instrument diagnostic data that is part of the field Instrument's HART protocol is a major factor, as well. The network operates in the 2.4GHz ISM band. Supposedly, ISA 100 compatible devices from different vendors can be mixed on the same network. Caveat Emptor. Honeywell is a major implementor of ISA100 at the moment. To my knowledge, there is no provision for ISA 100 to wirelessly carry digital protocols like Modbus. The Gateway device at the control room end talks ethernet for access to the field data. A former (now obsolete) version offered a backbone ethernet channel at 5GHz. That same implementation offered WiFi at 2.4GHz. There are provisions for custom implementations, but I'm not aware of any that are yet available. I am not familiar with Prosoft's N e G radios so I can't comment on a comparison.