Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wildswing

DDE in Windows 7 - how well does it work?

3 posts in this topic

Hey fellas, Upgrading my process computers to Windows 7 boxes is on the radar, so I've got to start looking into some concerns. Currently my Wonderware Intouch HMIs (v9.5) and OEM machine boxes (with OEM software) all run on XP boxes. All OEM apps use DDE to talk to Intouch. Only one OEM has clearly said that they have a Win7 compatible upgrade that's OPC compliant. That one gets to sit at the front of the bus. The others look at me like a deer in the headlights when I ask about OPC, so I'm wondering how reliable DDE is in Win7. After googling the subject, I found out that it's still there. Anyone care to share your experiences with DDE in Win7? Many thanks in advance.

Well it is there and it works. NetDDE is gone. We have run into issue with Google Chrome running on a machine where an application is trying to do a DDE connection to a Microsoft product. Chrome blocks the connection. Connections the other way work fine. Nothing is impacting Intouch that I am aware of. As for hardware communications, Kepware's KEPServerEX V7 is Windows 7 compliant, can run on 32 bit and 64 bit OS's, has native support for FastDDE/Suitelink as well as OPC DA, AE, UA, and OPC .Net. I would get off DDE as soon as possible, it was obsolete 10 years ago.

Thanks for the feedback Fred. Much appreciated.