Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ElecPneuGuy

Industrial Display Computers

3 posts in this topic

I'm going to be using an industrial PC for my current project. I'm still a bit on the fence on whether or not I'll use an Integrated display computer or an industrial monitor with a non-display computer. If I go with the integrated unit, I'll pick a 6181F -- Solid state drive. If I go with the non-display unit with the industrial monitor, I'll go with either a 6155F -- Compact non-display solid state...OR maybe a separate unit from Duro PC. I have to say that I don't know much about this. DuroPC makes (2) units that I'm getting quotes on, one is an embedded PC, the other is their 'shoebox" unit. The one thing that I know for certain is the environment will be subject to some vibrations, so the solid state unit seems like the way to go. I know that I will have to purchase the Factory Talk ME station to run on the computer, along with RS Linx for a separate program that I'll be running. I'll launch the program via active x controls in my factory talk application. This is going to be a pretty cool deal, but I'd like anyones thoughts and lessons learned concerning solid state PC's, industrial monitors and 3rd party PC's. I have heard that there could be issues with the Allen Bradly industrial monitor communicating with a 3rd party PC, but I'm not sure. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Be careful who you buy from for integral industrial PC's. We have a client who has been replacing one after the other as they keep breaking. We had a sales rep from Nematron come in and speak to us. A couple of them used to work for the above company and quit to start their own. We have another client who uses these. I tried to get a review from them through our remote office but I haven't heard anything back yet. They do have solid state drives. I would call Nematron and ask what company they broke from, and avoid that company. Sorry I can't provide any more info, it wasn't my project and I heard this from fellow employees of mine who are not in the office at this time.

I agree that if there is vibration in the application, a solid state drive is the way to go. A few things to note with an SSD. 1) SSD's are more susceptible to data corruption than rotating drives if they are subjected to unexpected powerloss. Although they are getting better - better error detection & correction algorithms, and some even have small holdup circuits. 2) Overall performance. Most SSD's will perform quite a bit slower than rotating drives (there are a few SSD's on the market that will outperform rotating drives. They are in the $400 to $700 price range - Intel makes one as an example). The overall performance hit on an SSD is during the write stage - read is very fast. It has to erase the old data and then write the new data. 3) You'll want to keep about 1/4 of the SSD free so that it has enough room to perform wear leveling which will maximize the life of the drive. I'm not aware of any issues with an Allen-Bradley monitor and 3rd party PCs. If using a touchscreen, just make sure you have the correct driver loaded.