Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lordzorak

Compact Logix Module placement

2 posts in this topic

I understand that with Compact Logix, you have to keep in mind the distance from the power supply. But I have questions on the placement of modules in general, regardless of power supply distance. On the first bank, you can only have three between the CPU and power supply and eight to the right of the power supply. Then you can link over to a second bank with eight on each side of the power supply and to a third bank for the remaining three modules (30 total). But is there a required order that modules must be filled in. And what happens when future modules are added? My questions stem from this. I could have up to 20 modules and my goal is to keep my 120Vac wiring as much as possible to the left of the cabinet and my 24Vdc to the right. I would require two banks for this many modules. My 120Vac modules will fill up the first bank completely. The remaining would have to be on the second bank. Can I add those remaining eight modules to the right side of the second bank instead of the left side? And if that is possible, if a future module needs to be added, how much trouble is it to add the new module to the left side of the second bank? Such as, does the addition of the new module shift the logical position of the modules to the right of the power supply requiring programming changes to compensate? Or are all 30 positions already numbered and the first to the right of the second bank power supply is automatically position 20 regardless of how many modules actually exist before it? Thanks in advance for the information. Z

The address numbering does not take into account the power supply. It's strictly left to right. But it is best to try to keep the current demand by the modules evenly split on both sides of the power supply.