Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PLC_man_Stan

File Management System

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I've been tasked to have a look at some file management systems to control our PLC code. I have had some personal experiance with systems such as IFS and DB2. As i've been asked to do this with only the PLC code in mind i wanted to ask the question here and see if anyone had used any really good system to control their software that they would recommend. I'm plannign on having a dedicated server for all code and then the intened system will manage the storage, revision and backups of each file. It would be a bonus to be able to add other types of files into the system such as electrical drawings but it's not a must have. Any ideas let me know

I do appologise i've just found the following thread which seems to help http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopi...mode=linearplus

Because I deal mostly with Allen-Bradley controllers, and because I work for Rockwell Automation, my platform is FactoryTalk AssetCentre. The major features of AssetCentre are checkin/checkout version management, user action auditing, and automatic backup and comparison for disaster recovery and audit purposes. The repository is good old Microsoft SQL Server 2003. AssetCentre is also the framework for some FDT-based process instrument tools for configuration and calibration. It's aimed at A-B controllers, operator interfaces, and drives, but does some limited work with Motoman and Fanuc robots, as well as allowing the insertion of other documents like manuals, reports, drawings, etc. AssetCentre is tied closely to FactoryTalk, so that user management and rights are centralized and the audit logs are closely coupled. You get a lot more out of AssetCentre with less effort if you're already have a lot of RA content, and it doesn't aim to be a direct competitor for general-purpose change management in a highly diverse automation environment. Edited by Ken Roach

Thanks Ken, this sounds more like what i'm looking for. WHere would i find some info for it?

There is basic information on FactoryTalk AssetCentre on the Rockwell Automation website: http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwell...mt/assetcentre/ Ask your Rockwell Automation distributor to get onto the Rockwell Software "extranet" for RSTechEd and have him get your the "AM05_Presentation" file from the FactoryTalk AssetCentre introductory presentation that was given last year at RSTechEd.