Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kiwi Sparky

S7-300 Coments and symbols

5 posts in this topic

I am new to Siemens software and was wondering if there is a way to import/export Comments and symbols from a S7-300 program to excel etc. We have Step 7 software. We are looking to do a language conversion of coments and symbols. It appears the Step 7 software has a convert language function, but this did not appear to change much. If it is in a spreadsheet I could run a translation program and export it back to PLC file.

You can convert the symbols from within the symbol editor excel format. You cannot export comments, although you can export the blocks into .awl accessable from word. You must convert to source to do that.

I wasn't able to add much detail last night as I did not have my PC with Step 7 on. Symbols: Open the symbol file, select option Symbol Table from the drop down menu and then select export. For working with Excel, I usually select the .DIF option of file. The import option is in the same menu option. Comments: Open any block (FC, FB, etc) then once the editor is open close the block, keep the editor open. Select Options and then customise. From the pop-up select the tab Sources. For your purposes I would select in the 'With saving block' section I would select Absolute in both the derive name and addresses options. (Normally I would keep symbolic, but if you are going to be doing search and replace, I wouldn't risk accidently changing block names etc, as it won't recompile). Then press Execute to generate sources of all blocks. Alternatively, if you wanted tpo select only a few blocks, oinstead of selecting Options above, select File and then Generate Source, this brings up a pop up where you select the blocks to create sources of. You give it a name and enter then you can select the blocks, again I would pick absolute addressing and not symbolic. The main difference with the above, as well as being able to choose which blocks to convert, is the forst will give you a file for each block, the second will put them all in one file, that maybe better for you purpose, just choose all. Once you have done that, open the sources folder, highlight all blocks, right click and select export sources. This saves all in the directory you choose as .AWL files. These can be opened with word. To put them back later, delete existing sources and right click on a blank area in the sources folder and select insert object-external sources. Once these are in, select all and then CTRL+B (compile). Obviously, make sure you save the original project first just in case of a mistake.

Thanks. The export/import symbol function was what I was looking for. I Will try the other method you mentioned aswell in future. (I'm new to Siemens, used to working with AB)