Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
forqnc

Wire terminating

13 posts in this topic

I was going to post the control panel section, but thought it might get more hits here, plus I am not talking about just control panel wiring. I am currently wiring a mod to a machine I added a PLC too a couple of years ago, the panel is so deep I have to sit inside. So whilst I am auto pilot wiring my 98 terminations I got to pondering about something I have seen here at my plant from the other 'Electricians' I served my apprenticeship in England, all the Electricians I worked under taught me to twist stranded wire before inserting into a terminal, this prevented stray strands not going in and possibly shorting out later. On smaller wire I strip twice the length of the terminal and twist then fold in half for a better connection. I was wondering what everyone else in the forum did. All the other guys I have seen here at my plant strip and terminate, including one from the Navy who worked on the Airplanes. No I am not smoking anything, just in a quiet area of the plant, sitting in a cabinet with several termination still to go and pondering another mystery of life So how do you all teminate?

Depending on the gauge, for the "normal" stuff I strip and twist. The smaller stuff gets stripped, twisted, and folded. That's just me here though. Too many people out here can't make connections, and I'm left to troubleshoot their work and redo it anyway. I make sure it gets a good connection the first time.

I am also a twist..twist fold twist guy.

Twisty only if I have to retry putting it in the terminal because some strands didn't make it in. Oh, and follow with a good tug after running the terminal screw down. Nothing worse than debugging a panel with wires just laying in the terminal.

I always twist. I also make sure I put enough to bottom out and try to not leave any wire exposed. I redo any connection I find that has a stray strand. I only fold when I have small wire and a large hole. While we are discussing terminating, do you prefer ratcheting crimpers that insure a specific crimp or pliers type that the crimp depends on the strength of the person squeezing? I prefer using ratcheting crimpers. I have one paladin and one Thomas & Betts that alaigns the lugs.

Squeeze the poop out of type, I have some snap-on similar to Kliens that have a long handle. The Mutipurpose crimper,stripper bolt cutter type I don't like, I feel I never get enough squeeze. The only ratcheting type I tried, early on in my career I found I could still nip it up a bit more with my type.

Most definetly!

Lately I have been using ferrules more and more. At first they were kind of slow, but after a bit I got to where I could make up a group of erruled connetions just as fast as I could make them with twisting the wire ends. The ferrules make a neater installation that is much more friendly to future de-terminating and re-terminating. edit for crimpers: I have used several crimpers for ferrules and I like the WAGO ferrule crimper the best. For crimping spades and rings I prefer a non-ratcheting Klein crimper, it seems to make the strongest connection. Edited by Alaric

I'm a strip and twist guy. Occasionally if it is very small I will fold it also.

Strip and Stuff 1st try. Twist if any strays. Fold only on awg 22 or smaller.

Me too. I prefer to use the Phoenix Contact wire ferrules on anything smaller that 22 AWG though.

I use ferrules on all sizes of wire. Fast, neat and no stray strands. It also keeps the wire out of the wrong part of the terminal block when inserting. OH and did I say neat!!

When terminating larger wires I like to wiggle them after I have them tightened, the I re-tighten.