Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
naing

WindowsNT on Pentium 4?

9 posts in this topic

Dear Experts, My SCADA software, RSView32 v5.0.1 (w/activation code) can only be installed on WindowsNT 4.0. So, I need your help to install WindowsNT 4.0 (SP4) on the Petium 4 (PM8M-V) PC. I tried several times to install it. But, the installation was terminated prematurely. Please help! Yours, Naing

Is your WindowsNT installation aborting or your RSView installation? Are their any error messages given when the isntall aborts?

Yes, I meant that WindowsNT installation was aborted prematurely showing BSOD (blue screen of dead) with many strange codes (00x00000-----bla, bla). I have tried reducing the partition-size to 2.1GB and FAT16. But, it didn't work. Is there something else to take care off?

Does the new machine have SATA hard drives? I read an article about using those with earlier OS's. There was a way to trick WinXP (pre SP2) into loading on them, but not anything older. Your choices are either SCSI or paralell interface IDE drives.

Well, my HDD is ATA/IDE. Here is my HDD's specification. HITACHI "Desktar" Model: HDS728040PLAT20 Capacity: 41.1GB P/N:0A30216 LBA: 80,418,240 Sectors RPM: 7200 MLC: BA1116 CHS: 16383/16/63 Selector Jumpers for 16 Heads, 15 Heads, 32GB clip, Autospin disable Thanks, Naing

Try setting up the hard drive with one partition of 7.8 gb or less, using NTFS and leave the rest as free unformatted space. Once the OS is installed, you can format the remaining space. Another thing to consider is RAM, I don't remember what NT's limit was, but try reducing to 1 gig or less and try the install. Does this new motherboard have on-board video, audio, sound, network etc... You may have trouble getting drivers to support these inbuilt peripherals under NT4 - the hardware manufacturers (on the whole) are as anxious as Microsoft to kill NT4 off, by any means possible. that includes DELIBERATELY making sure that the newest hardware has no driver support. If you do find yourself in an 'unsupported' situation, your only option may be to disable the 'onboard' peripheral and add a plugin item in one of the PCI slots, or video in the AGP slot - one for which NT4 drivers are available. Since this is a P4 you may also have to disable hyper-threading in the bios.

Yessssss! Very useful answer to reality. I have now solved my problem to install Windows NT on P4. I disabled all the extra features of motherboard (PM8M-V, MSI) including on-board VGA, sound, network etc.. I plugged an old versioned VGA card in PCI slot. A lot of thanks are going to Ken Moore. Naing

Glad you got it going. Thanks for following up and letting us know how it came out, many seek answers, but we never know if they solved their problem or not.

I know its very old post but it has good information to install windows NT.

I am trying to install Windows NT 4.0 on Pentium 4 desktop but I am getting "STOP 0x00007B" error.

I tried to install with the option suggested by  ken moore but could not able to do it.

do someone have link to working WindowsNT 4.0 iso version? or any other option?