Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wander_who

Comms problem Pro-face to CompactLogix

17 posts in this topic

Hi all, I am trying to solve a communications problem, between a Pro-face AGP3600-TI-D24 touchsreen and an AB CompactLogix PLC. The touchscreen does not seem to be able to communicate with the PLC, although maybe one or two buttons appear to work. The error on the touchscreen is: " RHAE132:xxx: Error has been responded for device write command (CIP error code:[05H]) " (where xxx is the name of the PLC). The strange thing is that we have exactly the same problem at two totally different installation sites right now, at the same time. Everything is basically the same, except one site has an L32E and the other an L35E. Both screens are using Pro-face's "Rockwell CompactLogix Native" ethernet/IP driver to communicate with the PLC (allows the use of direct comms with tags etc, no need for address mapping). Even stranger, the previous installation where we used these screens worked fine. That site had two PLCs & two screens. Same model touchscreens, same drivers, and same PLCs - one L32E and one L35E. In fact, the touchscreen programs and PLC programs I am using for the new systems are simply modified versions of those used on this previous installation. The Pro-face manual says that this Pro-face error code means a failure to write to the PLC. I could not find any reference to the CIP error code in the AB literature. I have asked our Pro-face supplier, they have checked with head office, and reported that the AB CIP error code (05H) means "Local processor is off-line (possible duplicate node situation)", and that they suspect a duplicate node (I'm not sure if 'node' is interchangeable with IP address...) While there are a few network issues (mostly VPN related), all local ethernet network communications (RSLinx etc) seems to be working fine. Besides, the LAN at each site was used to transfer the touchscreen program (actually via the VPN at one site), so that much is working we know. At one of these sites though, it did take a long time to get the Pro-face software to be able to communicate with touschreen, to transfer the program. We had to mess around with port numbers etc, before it would work. But after that first time, it now works every time. Currently, both touchscreens have the port set to Auto. I suspected network issues at the time, as it had all just been set up then... but now the network is fine (eg now am PLC programming remotely via the VPN etc) As I said, I was thinking that both sites have some network setup problems - but what are the changes of two totally unrelated sites & systems both experiencing the same problem, and both being due to network issues? Besides, the previous two systems worked fine... I have checked all settings on the PLC, the PLC ethernet port, the touchscreen, port settings, IP addresses, everything, but no luck. Any ideas ? Cheers, Andrew W

Is there a firewall?? Are your devices on the same switch, the same subnets? Remember, just because you can ping a device does not mean a firewall will let your communications through.

You mention there being a VPN present. Do each of your PLC's and Touchscreens have unique IP's. Any chance that the VPN is connecting a local touchscreen to a remote PLC.

The problem is local (the PLC and touchscreen are right next to each other) Both devices have been allocated static IPs, and both devices are on the same subnet. There is also a default gateway set in the PLC and the touchscreen. The PLC has some DNS server addresses set, but the touchscreen does not. But there should be no need for the DNS servers... All devices are local and connected to the one switch. Connected to the switch is: one touchscreen, one PLC, one computer, and the customer's network connection (to allow us to come in via the VPN). I'm not sure about the firewall, but its a local comms problem, so any firewall shouldn't effect it... Both sites have the same problem - even if the customer's network connection is pulled, the touchscreen is still unable to talk to the PLC... At one site, the VPN connections is a Cisco VPN (with this one there is some unresolved problem with the setup which is preventing me from pinging either of the two devices, but is a teething problem, the exact same setup is working at other sites) The other site's VPN is just a windows VPN, and I can see all devices. Cheers, Andrew W

VLANs could do this. If VLANs are configured in the switch and the devices are on different VLANs it won't talk with out firewall rules. Try different port on the switch. These are just some ideas. Just something to look at.

Hi newpageboba, The PLC & touchscreen are connected to a local unmanaged Hirchsmann Spider 5TX 5 port switch. The customer's network gets comes into this switch also, but even when it is disconnected, we are getting the same error. At one site, I had the guy try connecting directly from the PLC to the touchscreen (with a crossover cable) - same error So I am thinking it could be a problem or setup problem on the PLC side. Anything I should check with the setup of the ethernet port ? But we can go online with RSLogix5000 fine, upload, download, (locally, and over the VPNs too), and our VB HMI program can communicate fine with the PLC (via RSLinx DDE)... so it can't be that ? I don't know what else to do! Cheers, Andrew W

Verify that the Compact logix is really talking AB Ethernet IP. We recently used a new micro logix and it was AB Ethernet CIP. This created a problem as we were talking to a SLC500. We ended up finding out that the CIP device could write and read to the IP device but not the other way around. We ran out of time before I could reallly dig into what they changed on us. When I configure a touchscreen using cimplicity software it gives me the option of selecting ethernet IP for Control logix, SCLC500, or PLC5. Does your software differentiate between the two? Good luck!

Hi rammin48, Not sure how to verify that the CompactLogix PLC is using EthernetIP ? I thought that CIP was the protocol and EthernetIP the comms network ? Anyway, the Pro-face touchscreen has many comms drivers. The one i'm using is the CompactLogix / ControlLogix native ethernetIP driver. Extra info: On the last project, initially I started out using their AB CompactLogix / ControLogix ethernet driver, which requires address mapping using RSLogix5000 to map tags into SLC-style files... but then they released the CompacLogix / ControlLogix native ethernet driver, which can use the PLC tags directly (any data type). The first driver worked fine, but was a pain due the address mapping... So 'native' driver was much easier, and worked fine... that project is still running fine so I am stumped for what the problem with this new project could be! Cheers, Andrew W

Try to provided correct comm path Note Node Address: 1769-L35E ethernet port address (any valid IP address for your network) Path: CompactLogix Backplane Number (always 1) followed by a space, CompactLogix Slot Number (always 0) Example: Node Address: 192.168.5.25 Path: 1 0

rammin48... I just had a look in the Pro-face manual for the Rockwell EtherNet/IP driver, it says: "Rockwell EtherNet/IP driver for GP uses te CIP protocol..." rpraveenkum... The Pro-face touchscreen does not use that format for entering the communications settings, (only the IP address, subnetmask, and gateway)

Check somewhere it should since Clx system is with Multiple Processor system

I know AB has been upgrading their ethernet boards on various processors and I had assumed that the Control logix was CIP. The difference as it was explained to me was with the ethernet board in the SLC500. I pointed you in that directions as the problem sounded familiar. As I said I did not get any time to dig into it, rather found a way to work around it. SLC500 talks AB Ethernet I/P and Micrologic has been redefined as AB Ethernet CI/P. As I understand it the original AB ethernet I/P was suceptable to collisions and random update times as it was not deterministic. The CIP(control and information Protocol) was developed to make the system more deterministic and reduce the collision problem. There is a difference and I do not know whether the Proface can handle both protocol types or not. Or wether they have upgraded the ethernet board on the L35E. This probably does not help you any but it is the best I can do. This is something reletively new as a problem that I will also be dealing with shortly so let me know what you find out. Good luck!

Hi rammin48 Something does not sound right there. As I said, my understanding is that CIP is the protocol and EtherNet/IP is the network etc... People feel free to correct me if i'm wrong! Regardless, everyone else.. HELP! If I can't get it to work, I am faced with changing the Pro-face driver to DF1 (serial), and having to change every single tag address in the touchscreen program to an SLC-style file address, and mapping these with RSLogix5000. I really don't want to do that.. and i'm not even sure it would work.. will I get the same or similar error?? Besides, it would remove our ability to "see" the touchscreen on the network, upload or download, etc. Other than that, i'm out of ideas. I'm still talking to my Allen Bradely rep & Pro-face rep... nothing yet. Cheers, Andrew W

Post your Proface manual so that i can go though it to solve your problem

rpraveenkum... I'd be suprised but happy if you could solve my problem just by looking in the manual... but here it is: roc_etip.pdf We already have two identical setups elsewhere, that are working fine. It would be great if I could at least identify the problem as the PLC or the touchscreen! Cheers, Andrew W

Rockwell CompactLogix Native" ethernet/IP driver check all the tags in the Controller tag list in proface is avaliable in your Compactlogix

I have confirmed this with AB. There is a difference between AB ethernet I/P and CIP. Enhanced CIP is only available on the 100MB ports. CIP was never specifically called out on the original AB Ethernet I/P. However your processors are all of the newer type and should not have this issue. Sorry for the confusion.