Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brianafischer

Recommendations/Tips for Industrial USB -> RS-232 Converter?

11 posts in this topic

Unfortunately the time has come to a point where PC's do not include RS-232 ports anymore. I often run into a situation in which I have to use a laptop w/o a RS-232 connection. I am trying to connect to a Sensotec SC 2000 signal conditioner which speaks RS-232. I have tested comms on a different computer w/o a connection to both the SC2000 and the USB converter. I am using the GWC UC320 USB 1.1 to Serial Converter Cable - Retail Any suggestions on how to debug/get this working/where to find a working converter? Thanks!

The first one works for me, others say the second one is good also. http://www.aten-usa.com/?product&cat=595&Item=UC232A http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/usa19hs/homepage.spml

Brian I have not checked the link, but does this converter allow you to configure the memory address and irq settings or not? Most "older" hardware/support software expects com ports to conform to the old IBM AT Specification. {3F8, 2F8, IRQ5, IRQ7} something like that. Mickey will post a link soon I'm sure. If your adapter cannot mimic the IBM AT Spec you are SOL.

Bob, I will be heading into work tomorrow and will check what options are available... When you mention "irq setting and memory address", I assume that you mean the "resources" tab when viewing the COM PORT in device manager for the serial converter? However, I can get the serial converter talking PC<->PC, but not PC<->device. Why would the Windows interrupts/memory address matter to a remote device? All it should care about is the data on the bus. I also saw that the SuperMon tool was in the downloads section. How can I use the to determine what the difference is between the converter and a "real" serial port on a computer that could use both? Edited by brianafischer

As far as USB to serial converters go, avoid Belkin or I/O gear like the plague. In all of my testing (which has involved Siemens, Modicon, Mitsubishi, and Omron software, the best units were the Keyspan USA-19 (HS or W) and the CP Technologies CP-US-03. The Keyspan one is about $35 US from CDW.Com and the CP Technologies one is $10 from TigerDirect.Com. They have worked with everything I have thrown at them. PCMCIA cards are also fairly reliable.

New USB to Serial Adapter (9300-USBS) avaliable from rockwell use the link for details http://www.rockwellautomation.com/services...usbadapter.html

USB converter will work with some software but not with all PCMCIA is the best choice but not work exactly like real com port. It's why, in my company, we buy Dell laptop with serial com port inside.

The feature of 9300-USBS will work with all rockwell software products & it is tested Supports RSLinx DF1 Auto-Configuration Transforms any USB port into a Serial communications interface Compact, Rugged Design Simple device driver installation Tested and approved for use with Rockwell Automation products

Haven't had much luck yet. I checked the settings and it is using COM4. I need to do a little more debugging, then I am off to buy a keyspan at CompUSA.

I have used the Radioshack USB to Serial converter. Very reliable and dependable. So far I have not had any problems. Used with, Allen Bradley, Mitsubishi, Siemens, CTC/Parker Touch Screens, Idec Touch Screens, Mitsubishi Touch Screens and others with no problem. Here is a link to the web site: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search You can change the com port associated to the USB adapter in Device Manager. Attached is a screen shot. swimmy

I have had very good luck with a PCMCIA card that gives me to real 16550 UART serial ports. It is made by a company called "Socket". It is: Socket part Number: SL0703-081 I buy it from CDW as number: 104101