Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bcathey

PC HMI to PLC Communication

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm trying to figure out a way to have a PC HMI program I am going to write in VB to read/write data to a Mitsubishi FX2N PLC. I have used the GOT HMI's in the past but a PC would work much better in the current project I am involved with. What's stumping me is the actual communication codes/plc program settings required to communicate with the PLC. Thanks.

Why don't you use MX components. That way you don't have to write a driver and the VB project can be used for all Mitsubishi PLC's and communication path's.

I agree. Using a prewritten driver like MX Component is by far the best way to go.

If you have KepServerEX software , you can program HMI/Scada for most of common PLCs

The reasons to use Mx Component - Easy and fast application development. - Plc can be changed and your program slightly change or doesn't change if you use Easy IF. - Same communication path is accesible to more then one program. Multi threaded programs are easier. The reasons not to use Mx Component are - You need seperate licence for each project. (At least i think so) - Mx-Component setup is multi step operation and complicates application setup. First install EnvMel then Mx Component setup which requires a serial number. - Is not native .Net component. If you don't prefer com interop. I think Mx Component will be much better if a runtime is available with unattended setup. And development licence to redistribute runtime.

I would suggest read/write function calls via OPC. Then your code will work with multiple PLC types. You would need to buy or find an OPC server that works with your hardware. Kepserver EX as mentioned above supports pretty much everything. The OPC Foundation has sample code, but much of it requires that you be a member to download it.