Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ryno

RSLogix 500 Starter - For Oler Series E Micrologix

21 posts in this topic

The Free RSLogix Starter version on AB's website appears to only work with newer Series F Micrologix 1000 Controllers. AB doesn't provide tech support for any free software. This leaves me wondering if perhaps someone had an older version of the free software which might work with the Series E unit.

Ryno. I think this is one you should take up with your local Rockwell Representative or Distributor. Normally we don't allow request for software at MrPLC. I gave this one a little more thought since you are asking for software that was free at one time. But after thinking about it there are proper channels to go through and I don't think asking for the software here is the correct way. Now you probably called tech support and since you are working with a free version I'm guessing you don't have a support contract. That is why they couldn't help you. But I think your distributor or local Rockwell Rep will be more than happy to assist you with the software and getting online with your Micrologix. Plus I can find nothing to support your theory that it is a series problem and you need a different version. Anyway it goes software request on MrPLC are not allowed

Are you a STUDENT? Because I have heard NUMEROUS stories of students calling AB and telling them they need software for their projects and AB is more than willing to GIVE YOU FOR FREE what you need. All you gotta do is call them and ask them. If you know your local AB rep in your area, start there. You'll need to prove that your in college and you should be all set.

I have all the revision CD's from the past ten years. I'm sure I can find this, if it's on those CD's, when I get home from my frozen outpost on the border. I remain a little confused about why your Series E micro (thanks for those pics, by the way; they're worth a thousand words) isnt' supported by the current downloadable RSL500, but we'll work it out and get you going.

I did call the local AB rep. They were supprised that the older revision E would not work with the software and did not have an older version of the free RSLogix 500 Starter. I am not sure about the student idea but may try if all else fails.

Chako, I tried the student route and no dice. As expected, they are willing to donate product but it has to be in the name of and owned by an institution. Which is ok but not exactly what I am looking for. I really am starting to think maybe I have something about the setup wrong. Or something else I am doing wrong as no one seems to understand why the software doesn't work with this unit. Thanks for the help all. I haven't given up yet. I will PLC eventually!

What exact PN of your Micrologix PLC? Copy the label please

There is a picture in a past post (should be last one started by Ryno). It is 1761-L10BWA Ser. E.

Below are the labels in the other post

I can't test because I can't find this exact controller, but I was told that it should not be a problem to use current free version with L10 PLC ser E

the epic continues ... here's the latest ... Ryno took me up on a PM offer - and shipped the MicroLogix 1000 to me for testing purposes ... I have it here now ... the good news is that the unit itself is OK ... I've ckecked out all six inputs and all four outputs - and I can communicate with the processor ... note that the software that I'm using is the "full" edition of RSLogix500 - version 6.00.00 ... the RSLinx I'm using is version 2.50.00.20 (CPR 7) ... as I said, this is all working great ... now for the bad news ... I can't communicate with the processor when I try to use the "free" software ... specifically, I'm in the same boat as Ryno ... note that I only have one copy of the "free 10-point starter" flavor of RSLogix500 software ... it's one that I downloaded just a couple of weeks ago when this particular thread started to hit the fan ... this is version 6.10.00 ... as shown below ... when I try to use this, I run into the same problem that Ryno has been complaining about ... specifically, I can't communicate with Ryno's "Series E" processor when I try to use this latest version of the "free" software ... here's what pops up when I try ... so here's my "best guess" as to what's going on here ... please keep in mind that THIS IS ONLY A GUESS! ... could it be that Allen-Bradley has lately "new and improved" their "free" software - and that now it's impossible to use it with the earlier processors - such as Series E? ... I'm wondering what series processor you'd get if you were to order a 10-point MicroLogix 1000 "trainer" directly from Allen-Bradley today ... my GUESS is that it would be a Series F processor ... then you could (presumably) download this latest-and-greatest version 6.10.00 of the "free" software - and everything would work ok ... now if that's the official "solution" then it's sure going to disappoint a LOT of people who (like Ryno) have picked up an older 10-point MicroLogix 1000 from e-Bay, etc. and would now like to use it for "training purposes only" with the "free" software ... presumably these folks are going to be stranded ... if my "best guess" is correct, then I'm betting that folks like Ryno would REALLY like to know where to download an "old-and-unimproved" version of the software - which would still work with the older (pre-Series F) processors ... Ken Roach mentioned that he might have an old copy available ... personally I'd see absolutely nothing wrong with making such a copy available to Ryno - since the stuff was "free" in the first place ... if I had a copy on hand, I'd burn a CD and ship it off to Ryno - along with the gear I'll be returning tomorrow ... one more guess ... let's give the nice folks at Allen-Bradley the benefit of a doubt ... suppose that they didn't really intend to leave guys like Ryno stranded out in the cold with "training" hardware that won't work ... maybe all they need to do to fix this is to offer a choice of which version of "free" software to download ... anyway ... let's see what happens next ...

Ron Checked my archives and found a free starter RSLogix software, I do not know what version, what I know it is I burned it in August 2003. When I'll be home I can send it to you to burn it or straight to Ryno. It is about 20Mb Let me know Marian

That's great news that one of our members found an old copy of the "free" Logix 500. I am amazed that there are any 10-point Series E controllers out there at all; I thought that the change of all the other 1761 controllers to Series F was simultaneous with the release of the free 10-point software and the 10-point controller. If I ever get back to my office (five weeks I've been on the road !) I'll see what I have in the archives too.

I sure hope you get to leave your frozen outpost to go home for the holidays

here's what I think would be an ideal next step ... if someone could send an "old version" CD to me, I'd be glad to try it out on Ryno's hardware - just to BE SURE that it does indeed work ... I would then be glad to burn a copy of the CD and send the copy to Ryno along with his hardware ... I would also return the original CD to the original sender ... or ... if someone could provide a download link of the "old version" software (here, there, or anywhere) I could also use that to confirm that all systems are "go" with Ryno's trainer ... or anything else along the same lines ... unless I hear anything different, I'll be shipping Ryno's hardware back to him in a day or so ... naturally he'll be able to test it himself - once the "old software" is SOMEHOW made available to him ... thanks to everyone for their help so far ... and to Ken Roach ... are you saying that "Series F" controllers have been out there for a very long time? ... if so, then maybe some of the "old" versions of the software aren't going to be "old enough" after all ... I'm guessing that only a test will tell for sure ... I'll send Marian my address in a PM - just in case a shipment can be arranged ... stay tuned ...

Looks like Ryno is in bad luck. I found the backup CD, version number is 5.5, however when I am trying to extract them stops at core file No.5. Checking on DOS shows error file corrupted. I do not know how to fix this. I could upload the files if it is ok with administrators and somebody might take a look and see where the problem is. They are about 20Mb divided in 18 files

Greetings pimpim32 ... that error message looks like a show-stopper to me ... thanks so much for trying, but I'd say that the ball is in Ken Roach's court now ... hopefully he'll have - or can obtain - something that will work ... to Ryno ... is it ok if I keep your system until we get this finally nailed down - one way or another? ... I'd like to be able to send it all back to you with an "A-OK" verdict for hardware, software, and everything ... along those lines: you sent a "clone" USB-to-Serial adapter ... I can't check that piece out because you failed to send the driver for it ... please e-mail me the driver files - or possibly tell me if the company that made the adapter has a website with the drivers available for download ... and so the saga continues ...

My goodness, the answer has been on the label the entire time, we were just looking at the wrong part. I just left my local Rockwell distributor and mentioned Ryno's problem to the software guy there. He said that he guessed it was the "older" AC unit if it was a Series D. He thought that the free version of RsLogix 500 only worked with the low end purely DC model that was released at Series E. Ryno has a 1761-L10BWA. The 10 point starter Micrologix is a 1761-L10BXB. See technote 25501 I'm sorry Ryno but it looks like your Micrologix can't be programmed with the free software

yes, TW, that DOES indeed look ominous ... call me a die-hard optimist, but I’m still hoping against hope ... I’d sure like to try an older version (pre-6.10.00) of the free software on Ryno’s processor just for kicks ... maybe when Ken Roach gets back to civilization ??? in the meantime, if I were Ryno, I’d start looking around for either a 1761-L10BXB processor ... OR ... (even better yet) a $500 package of RSLogix500 software ... don’t spend any money - yet - but definitely start shopping around ... this is all making it look like PLCs is a hard (and expensive) game to get into ...

Thanks everyone for helping getting to the bottom of this. Even though the software isnt going to work, I'm at least glad to finally know why. My plc quest will continue. Thanks again for all of the help, expecially Ron, Ken, and TW!

Greetings to all ... ok ... I'm a strong man - and I really love a challenge - but I know when to admit that I'm beat ... I officially give up on this one ... as mentioned in an earlier post, Ryno sent his hardware to me and I checked it out ... it's ok ... but all of my resources for obtaining a working copy of the "free" RSLogix500 software to program it with have come to naught ... Ryno, I’ve mailed your equipment back to you ... sorry that I couldn’t be more help ... moral of the story: if you’re going to buy a used 10-Point MicroLogix1000 processor for training purposes, make sure that you get a model 1761-L10BXB Series F ... it looks like that’s the only model that’s SUPPOSED to work with the “free” software ... if anyone finds out that other processors will also work, please post the information here ... the end ...