Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobLfoot

Christmas 2006 Holiday Season

33 posts in this topic

Now in the USA we just celebrated Thanksgiving and TV, Radio and Stores have begun the Christmas Shopping Push. Tomorrow is nicknamed "Black Friday" because the stores will be black thick with shoppers. Our family will stay home and put up the tree and decorations. When do you begin your Christmas celebration? How do you begin the season where you are?

For the past 24 years my wife and I have sung in a community Christmas festival choir made up of amateur singers from several surrounding communities. We sort of consider the concert to be the start of our Christmas season. This year the concert is December 10. For the 25th anniversary we'll be premiering a piece that was commissioned for the occasion.

I plan on surprising my wife and getting the Christmas decorations down first thing in the morning. I'm a big procrastinator when it comes to this, rarely show much spirit in this respect even though I feel it inside, all of the decorations are up in the attic, she is unable to get it down this year, and she is sure that we will not have a Christmas tree this year. I thought it would be a nice suprise. Her family starts decorating right after Thanksgiving normally. Now my Dad may correct me on this, but as for my family I can remember running out the week of Christmas and getting the last tree in town to throw up in time for Christmas. And you wonder where I get it from

Black Friday got its name because of many of the retail stores finally make a profit on that day.

for us, the official start of christmas shopping season is at 4:30 AM Friday, when we wait in line at Sears to get our free $10 gift cards :)

MY TREE IS UP TW; HOW'S YOURS COMING? LOL

A fake one !?!? I thought Christmas was taken seriously over there... TW, I expect you to take your axe and get one out of your backyard!

Mines up but decorations are not all on, I'll put picture up tomorrow

If you've ever assembled it year after year then you know getting it to look right is serious work. Wife likes the tree up from now until after new years. A real tree wouldn't last that long.

You would be surprised what 2 cans of hairspray can do

Nope, sneeze too much and have to sweep up too many pine needles

How short a sons memory can get as he gets older. As the children got older it was not as exciting as it was when they were younger. As small children and they are excited it sbowballs to every one else. I am waiting for him to come by and put mine up

What? You trying to break a record on how early you can put it up? I'll be out today or tomorrow to put yours up. You better have the spot cleared out

The christmas season doesn't begin for me until 1st of advent, when you put the adventsljusstake in the windows. Possibly you add a adventsstjärna in a few windows as well. Christmas itself, including all further lighting and christmas tree, for me doesn't begin until Dec. 23rd. Christmas gifts are of course bought already earlier, but that's it. Oh, and we shouldn't forget the St. Lucia Day on Dec. 13th!

I grew up on a small farm about 20 miles from the nearest town. Each year after the holidays, we would take down the tree and burn it. Christmas trees burn like they are soaked in gasoline. After that, I always use a fire resistant fake tree. I think back in the "good old days" people put the tree up on Christmas Eve, and took it down the day after Christmas, because of the fire hazard. I'm talking about the days before electricity, when candles were used to light the tree.

My Dad tried to pull the same story. Only the past tense was for him was only 20 years ago and as I recall we had electricity. Which BTW Bob, I didn't get mine decorated. I had to go put up another tree

Don't recall how they burned as a boy, but when I smartmouthed Dad the Christmas tree hurt like a bee sting when he spanked me with it.

LOL!!! I bet it did

Ok mines done. So where's the picture of that tree I had to run put up that put me a day behind on mine

About time TW and looks great.

Thanks, so does yours

ta da....here's mine Don't pay any attention to writing on the bottom..... Edited by geniusintraining

Very Funny GIT

Good Xmas tree drawing from Plcs.net xmas_for_engineers.pdf

Good one Praveen I had never seen that