Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rlbarras

Cannot Register Devicenet Device

9 posts in this topic

I have an "unrecognized device" showing up in RSnetworx for Devicenet, yet the EDS file is in the database. Its definetly the correct file for the equipment, yet it wont pull it up. Help...

This is going to be basic troubleshooting, since you omitted most of the details of your case. It's possible that this is an RSNetworx malfunction (I usually reboot after adding devices, by the way) but equally likely that it's a procedural mistake. What is the device ? When you are online, right-click on the device icon and select Properties, which will pull up the Identity object of the device. Compare those values (be sure to convert to hex if you must) with the Identity values in the EDS file, and you can be absolutely certain that the device you have online is the device described in the EDS. Did you use the EDS Wizard ? Did the EDS wizard report that the EDS file is valid ? What revision of RSNetworx and what revision of RSLinx are you running ?

NEvermind... I got something to work... apparently this device I'm using ( a Pepperl & Fuchs gateway) has a revision number associated with it that is not compatible with RSnetworx (Rev 0.002). I think RSNetworx requires it to be at least 1.0. He assured me that the eds file is correct, so I sort just forced the scanlist download, and the devices seem to be working. Thanks.

Ahh, yes...there is that checkbox which is by default checked which requires a new scanlist item to match hardware properties such as rev number. Always an annoyance and always something I uncheck before adding to the scanlist. I can see the motivation of preventing someone from replacing one piece of equipment with another piece of equipment with the same DNet address, but this version number mismatch thing always is a pain - especially if I forget to uncheck this requirement and a customer replaces some damaged hardware such as a VFD with Identical hardware but with some minor firmware difference. (Been a few years since I worked with DNet...is that hardware property match requirement still the default condition?) Edited by pseudoquas

That makes partial sense. None of the Identity Object's attributes can be zeroes. The ODVA EDS validation procedure and RSNetworx for DeviceNet both flag zeroes as invalid in vendor, type, class, and major revisions. I'd have to check to find out if a minor revision can be zero. In most software development that I am familiar with, revisions below 1.0 are considered unreleased or development releases. But developers can be unpredictable people. I have dealt with devices with zeroes in the Identity object before, and the EDS checker flagged them but I was still able to use the Parameter Editing feature. You can be certain about the Identity of the device by looking at the General tab for that device. Which P+F gateway device is this ?

Its a VAG-DN-K5, Devicenet to AS-i gateway.... all I really did was uncheck all of the boxes in the "Electronic Key:" group under the scanlist tab in the scanner's setup. I performed the download regardless that the "unequal" symbol showed on the device and it worked.

I found the product page for the VAG-DN-K5 here: http://www.pepperl-fuchs.com/selector/gui/...ed_prod_id=2899 The EDS file downloaded from that website, named "0v11.eds" has the following information in the Device identity section: [Device] VendCode = 57; $ Vendor Code ProdType = 0; $ Product Type ProdCode = 35898; $ Product Code MajRev = 1; $ Major Rev MinRev = 1; $ Minor Rev VendName = "Pepperl + Fuchs Inc."; ProdTypeStr = "Generic"; ProdName = "VAG-DN-K5"; Catalog = "35898"; The "not equal" sign in RSNetworx indicates that a device has the same Vendor Code, Product Type, and Product Code as an EDS file in the database, but a different Major Revision. Right-click on the device's icon while online and you can get to the General tab, which will show you the actual values that the device is reporting to RSNetworx. Correction from before; the Product Type can be a zero, because 0 = "Generic Device" is a valid product type (though a little lazy, if you ask me). The Major Revision can't be zero, though, a topic on which RSNetworx and the ODVA EDS Checker are a little more strict than some software tools. In fact, my copy of RSNetworx version 6.0 will red-flag an EDS during the EDS Wizard that has a zero major revision, and won't allow it to be added to the database.

Got it... that makes sense... That is the EDS file I am using. If I clicked the "Unrecognized Device" while online, it was showing a revision in that window of 0.002 and it would in fact not let me register the EDS file through the wizard like you said. Since I cant change the hardware revision, I just unchecked those boxes in the scanlist settings and used the ov11 file to add a device with the same address. It gave me the unequal sign, but I was still able to download the scanlist to the scanner and bingo.... I appreciate the help with trying to understand the issue... will help in the future.

I'd be nervous about using a device that indicated a pre-release firmware version. To preserve some of the identity checking features of the 1747-SDN, you can leave on the Vendor, Type, and Code checkmarks on the Electronic Keying for this device's scanlist entry. If only the Major Revision is a mismatch, only the Major Revision needs to be unchecked.