Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CJH

Communications between 2 x Micrologix 1200's

9 posts in this topic

Ok, this is a multi-part question Firstly, I assume it's possible two copy data from one Micrologix to another. My preliminary scan through the instruction set leads me to believe you can do this with ASCII messaging. Am I right? Secondly, is there an easier way to do it? (hmm, perhaps with the modbus port?) Thirdly, do AB manufacture Micrologix MINIDIN8 crossover serial cables, or will I have to hack my own together? Thanks

Answers in Parts. 1. Yes you can use some form of ASCII, but why when AB's proprietary messaging instructions are present and so much easier. 2. The Serial Port can do AB DF-1 and DH-485 which will support messaging and I believe you could Modbus master/slave thru the modbus port as well although I've never done it this way. 3. I'll leave this to someone else. I'd advise using 1761-Net_AIC and DH-485 protocol method. This leaves you the ability to attach a serial from your PC and program and message between.

IF you want to trnasfer the data from one ML1200 to another by using the Msg Instruction. you should make Dh485 netwok using NETAIC +

Ah, M..S..G.. how dumb do I feel right now? :) Thanks for the quick answer!

I prefer the 1761-NET-ENI to the AIC. Puts your Micrologixs on Ethernet instead of using DH-485

I'll get there TW. You're right 1761-Net-ENI definitely rocks over NET-AIC just wasn't thinking big enough picture.

I don't know that it is any better. It is probably more of the fact that I don't have a lot of experience with DH-485. I use DF1, Devicenet, and Ethernet mainly. Only a few on DH-485

Last DH-485 I did was limited at 19,200 but the Net-ENI went 38,400 so it was 2x faster on data xfer.

Also supposively the series D has manage to optimize the packet throughput and now a 38,400 communications through the NET-ENI is faster than a direct DF1 connection