Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
waterboy

collecting RLinx data

42 posts in this topic

Is it possible to collect the raw RSLinx data via some programming interface? I want to build a web page with some plant data and while I can do what I want through SCADA software add-in packages, they are very expensive and for what I want to do it isn't worth it. Anyone done anything similar?

If you have a version of Linx other than Lite, you can use DDE and Excel. There are examples in the download section.

Try FactorySQL. It'll synch your PLC to an SQL database enabling status indication or control via a web page. Your web page need only communicate with the database. I don't mind helping you get started if you'd like.

Thanks but that product is pretty pricey too (~$4000 US) . Not in the league of Intellution and others to be sure, but still not within my reach. I'm looking for a way to do this with code which will only cost my time with maybe a OCX or two.

What processor are you wishing to do this with or will there be various processors

Building on what Ken says you can also use VB or VC and DDE / OPC for larger scale collection then excel.

That leads me back to TOPserver. Sound like that might be an answer. I need something to read my rs-485 particle counters in a way that will allow me to put them in SCADA anyway, so perhaps that will kill two birds at once. Edited by waterboy

You need to look to see if Topserver can make DDE or OPC request. Or perhaps execute VB code. That is how it will use RsLinx to communicate. PLC > RsLinx > Topserver Do you already have a version of RsLinx?

Yes, RSLinx Pro 2.42 (I think). But if TOPserver doesn't need it, thats better. It sure looks like it doesn't. Unles you are about to reveal a top secret, eyes only way to use RSLinx for this?

You got a link for TopServer? I'm having trouble finding it

here you are http://www.toolboxopc.com/ I started to think that the price was for the driver only and not the "server" But I don't see a "server" listed anywhere else.

Unless I'm missing something, this is pretty much the same as RsLinx. It is not a web server, you'll still have to do that part

Oh I realize that it isn't a webserver. But if I can find a method that I can interrogate a database with something like SQL queries or simliar, then I can build the pages myself. But I can't do that to RSLinx. My thought was that RSLinx only communicates with whatever application knows how to communicate with it, and that data exchange protocol information is proprietary and probably licensed for gobs of money. I further thought that an OPC server lIke TOPserver and others somehow speaks to the hardware directly (or through drivers that they created) and makes that data available to mortals through a standard interface that can be easily interrogated by multiple methods. But I have thought lots of things in my lifetime. Not all have been accurate. This might be one of those.

RsLinx is both a OPC server and the older DDE server. No secrets. The DDE is very straight forward. I haven't done a lot with OPC but there are some sample here

Unless I am missing something you're thinking is corrrect. This appears to be an OPC server program which can query your AB PLC for data and serve it up to your OPC compliant application {Excel, SQL, Etc}. ANd TW is correct RSlinx in versions other than lite provides this functionality.

OK, I'll look a bit harder at the RSLinx driver and how to interrogate it. Thanks to all thus far.

You might also look - depending on what you want to do the 1785-ENET and the SLC 5/05 support custom web pages broadcast from the PLC. You might be able to send your data that way.

I was holding back but since Bob mentioned it I have used a single Controllogix processor and a 1756-EWEB to collect data from SLCs, Micrologix, and other Controllogix processors and serve web pages. It could do the same with the PLC5. The initial hardware cost would be high though

Some of the higher end PLC-5's already have the web page server option.

We have the controllogix processors already and we bought one just to experiment with. 1756-EWEB? Thats a module? I'm gonna look into that right now. I have seen the custom web pages inside the PLC5 but didn't think much about them as it looked like it was only a few lines worth.

What I did with the Controllogix containing the EWEB was used it to gather information from all other processors in the plant. This method was cheaper than making all processors in the plant web enabled The 1756-EWEB allows for completely customized web pages

I just dl'd the brochure, can it have it's own IP that is different from the controllers IP? I know that some modules in the CLX line can do that. And can that IP be on a different subnet? That may be just what I need. And far easier to get bought.

The book says that it can only get data from it's local chassis, so did you pull the data into the local chassis and then have it serve the page or did I miss something that allows you to pull data from other PLCs ?

You can do CIP request to anywhere you can build a path to. Pretty much this is a Ethernet/IP, Controlnet, or Devicenet device that you can build a path to. This does not include Micrologix, SLC, or PLC5. This is where you would use a processor along with the EWEB You can only have one IP address per module. But if you are thinking one for the plant and one for the office you could also use a router and assign an ip on your office network to route to an ip which your EWEB is assigned on your plant network. We actually used 3 ENBTs to communicate with the plant and 1 EWEB with an IP on the plant side and a router connecting to the office as described above. I like this setup. It is very reliable and doesn't require much maintenance but there is up front hardware cost

One address per module but does it have to be the same subnet as the processor? Can you tell me about what the module cost was? List proce is fine, just getting an idea. I will check with my dist but lots of changes have happened over there and all the knowledgable people left. Edited by waterboy