Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
glennlee

1746-HSCE2

4 posts in this topic

Hi All. I have the HSCE2 set up as Class 4 Mode 1. I currently have one encoder connected but the unit is set for two encoders. I have the module doing everythng the way I want it, except being able to reset the count if a switch on an input closes. I have set both channels to Soft Preset (Counter Configuration block, words 1 and 3, bit 4 ON, bits 5 and 6 OFF. (from 1746-UM002B manual, page 4-11)). I originally was writing the output of the HSC directly to the Preset words (N10:25) per the recommendations of the manual for retentitive counters, but I changed that to a pair of integer words in N7 and changed the HSC init routine to copy the N7 words to the presets. I still retain counts through re-initializing, so that appears good. I have tried to write zeros to the preset area, but I am not sure how to get the counter to re-read the block. I will try setting the XMIT bit for the block and use a direct write of the block and see, but that is the limits to my imagination at the moment. Any hints or help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Hi Guys. I was able to get an answer from A/B as to how to do this. I will be testing it soon, but I will include their answer here for the future "To maintain a counter at its current value, just turn off the enable bit for that counter in the counter control block. This will maintain the current count value, but prevent input signal from performing additional counting on that channel. Re-enabling the bit will allow the counter to run again. The counter enable enable bit is found in bit 00 of words 1-4 (corresponding to counters1-4) of the counter control block. More information on this bit can be found on page 4-24 in the 1746-HSCE2 User Manual (Publication 1746-UM002B-EN-P), which can be found at www.ab.com/literature. Just use the 'Search By' function on the right-hand side of the web page and search by the publication number listed above. As for resetting a counter, you can use the counter's soft preset bit in the counte control block to reset the counter to zero. An example of how to do this can be found in out Knowledgebase at the following link: http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...p?p_faqid=17973 . If you want the counter to reset to zero, make sure that you configure the counter preset value to zero in the min/max count value block." I hope anyone facing the same frustration with the archane structure of the controls for this module will take heart that A/B will answer E-mails

Hello, Glenn,

Can I have some instructions to set up 1746-HSCE2 high speed counter module? Appreciate.

Richard