Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TechJunki

SLC Data Collection

8 posts in this topic

Looking for some opinions and options on the best way to obtain data from a SLC-500 System. Details: There are 6 SLC 5/04 plc's connected over data highway at 230k Baud and also ControlNet for some faster data between the plc's. The DH network is already overloaded hence the addition of ControlNet, therefore I do not think that the DH network is going to be a viable option, and from what I understand it is not really realistic to use controlnet for messaging on SLC's for data ?? I thought about using a 5/05 in one of the racks but then I loose the DH connection to the other racks. I would like to somehow interface this system to a CPU in a ControlLogix rack and then gather the data from there over ethernet. Anyone have any thoughts and or ideas.......There will probably be about 200 words of data needing to be collected.

What kind of through put are you looking for? If slow is an option,you could use a serial to ethernet adapter and connect that way.

It doesn't have to be real time but I would like to read at least the 200 words in about 5 to 6 seconds. But as always Faster the BETTER. Anyone ever have any experience with this Ethernet/IP card from Pro-Soft http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/view/full/399 Edited by TechJunki

Never used that card, but I have had good success with other Pro-Soft modules. Thier tech support is top notch.

I've seen that card mentioned before. Looks good, wonder what is the price...

Couple of quick thoughts concerning networking. 1. You'll find it in other posts here, the network {DH+} can be decongested slightly if you remove write instructions and replace them with read instructions in the opposite plc. This has to do with overhead and handshakes taking up extra bandwidth. 2. The DH+ option would involve a 1756-A4 rack, a 1756-PA72 Power Supply, 1756-DHRIO card {for dh+}, 1756-ENET, 1756-ENBT or 1756-EWEB {for ethernet} and a 1756-L5X or 1756-L6X cpu if you want a data concentrator CPU. Keep in mind the CPU is not necessary to pass data to a PC thru the DHRIO/ENET combo. 3. THe SLC 5/04 can also utilize the 1761-Net-ENI and convert to ethernet at a speed of 38,400. If this is fast enough for your application then I've used that method with good success. 4. One final option is using a 1756 rack with a 1756-cnb and bringing the data over controlnet. It would mean produced consumed tags and more programming, but it could be made to work.

Are you collecting 200 words total from all six SLC-5/04 controllers, or 200 words from each controller ? Which SLC-500 ControlNet module are you using; the 1747-KFC15 or the 1747-SCNR ? I have not used the 1747-SCNR is a while and would have to do some testing, but you should be able to get data from the SCNR using Produced/Consumed Data connections or CIP messaging to the -SCNR's I/O table object.

Bob, FYI, the 1756-ENET isn't really available for sale anymore. The 1756-ENBT replaces it. (The web page gives "invalid catalog number" when you try to put it in cart)