Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
10 Minutes Till Wapner

Extreme Newbie Has a Question

11 posts in this topic

Hello to all, I'm trying to implement a scheme where a momentary push button switch would trigger a .mp3 or .wav file to be played. I've done some reading on PLCs and I was wondering if one could accomplish this, that is, drive a speaker to play the audio contained in the file. If not, any reccomendation on a control scheme would be welcomed.

A PLC for this purpose only would be major overkill. In the end the PLC still only controls an output with probably some relay which connects/disconnects the speaker. You could do this also with a simple flip-flop IC. Another option would be to use a RF remote control with an antenna unit on the USB port of the PC. You can configure software like Girder to perform just about any command on any button of the RC, you can also configure multiple commands like launch mediaplayer, open file ... , play, etc. I have used it to play divX movies from my PC on my TV in the living room. I had a video-s and spdif cable running from PC to TV, and configured the remote control to control all functions in the media player with Girder. It works great and with just about any RC. If you still want to use some automated control I suggest you use some low end control like Siemens LOGO or any comparable type.
1 person likes this

Couple of observations. A speaker is simply an electromechanical device for turning electricity into sound. You have an MP3 or WAV file on some media {Mem Stick, CD, Etc} but need to convert it to electricity to play it in the speaker. What device are you planning on doing this. A standalone DSP Chip, an over the counter CD Player from walmart and a Personal Computer are all greast choices. Each of these has a triggering or play now scheme which would not need a PLC {Definite Overkill}. And no a PLC does not convert MP3 or WAV to electric current. I'd suggest and IR or USB remote Control to a PC and use a VB program to play the file as your best bet.
1 person likes this

Why can't he use an HMI package like RSView on a PC. The PLC will trigger a signal to RSView or similar HMI. The HMI will run a command to play the MP3 or wav on a speaker attached to the PC.

Well, I would say yes to that question. As newpageboba said, you can use some of that software packages or you also can use an HMI panel (i.e. a G306 from REDLION) they can play .wav tunes at will. And you can use an internally driven push button to play it. Or if you want it to do it a little more interesting, you can use LabVIEW with a FPGA and a DSP IC to play the file in your digital media.
1 person likes this

A PLC would be big time major overkill. It will be expensive. It will require a signifcant investment in programming software if you don't already have it. It will require some engineering knowledge. Or, you could use something ready made for what you want that costs less than a hundred bucks. http://bcsideas.com/yourbell.htm
1 person likes this

Alarc found exactly the device he was looking for. Awesome! OP, you should really specify what your purpose is. Do you simply need a device that plays an audio file at the push of a button? Are you trying to implement this as a learning project?

I recently installed one of these: http://www.vikingelectronics.com/products/...uct.php?pid=164 Works great, can be configured to dial a series of phone numbers and play a recorded message or connected to a PA system. Has 8 inputs and a different sound can be assinged to each one. List price is around 350.00 USD, but I got it for around 300.00 I believe they have something like this at the local LOWES home supply store. You press the button and a message plays, "Customer needs assistance in Hardware".

Cool. What's the ballpark price on these Ken?

Lol, must have been daydreaming ... I really did totally miss it Edited by Nathan