Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfkuss

HMI for Series 90-30

15 posts in this topic

Hi all, I will let you know right off the bat that I am most familiar with AB PLC's and controls, but we have one machine in our plant that has a GE 90-30 in it. The problem is that the display went bad. Our electrical engineer was trying to put a new one in, but has since left the company. He was trying to put in a Maple Systems Blue HMI. P/N is BLU300M-002. I was told that he couldn't get the two to talk. Now, I have a IC693CPU311K processor and the only comm port is on the power supply. It is a DB15 connection. I can connect to the PLC with my laptop using a Horner SNP 232-485 adapter cable. But all of the documentation on the Maple Systems HMI cabling is referencing using a DB25 connection on the PLC. If anyone has any clues as to what sort of cable or adapter I would need, I would be forever grateful!! Thanks Matt

Your problem may not be in the cable. It could be the protocol. The Maple HMI is probably using the SNPX protocol. SNPX is a simplified version of GE Fanuc's SNP protocol that has been optimized for data exchange. The full-blown SNP includes functions for upload/download of ladder logic that were removed from SNPX. SNPX was not introduced until CPU version 4.4 in 1993. That corresponds to a CPU311L. Your CPU311K is just a little too old. Check to see if your Maple HMI has SNP protocol instead of SNPX. Otherwise, you will need to replace the system chip in the baseplate with a new version. The list price for a new system chip is around $100. Contact your local GE Fanuc distributor.

Thanks for the info, Steve... I would have spent all day pulling my hair out to figure it out. I will get the chip and be off to the races!!

Make sure that you have a backup copy of the ladder logic and configuration before upgrading. Changing the chip will erase everything in the PLC's memory. You will need to download the program and configuration following the exchange. It might be a good idea to replace the battery at the same time you upgrade, especially if nobody can remember the last time the battery was replaced. The Maple documentation that refers to a 25-pin Dsub is talking about a connection through a CMM311 (communications coprocessor) module. That module is not an option in your case. It is not compatible with the CPU311. If the Maple HMI's serial port can be RS485, then you can connect directly to the 15-pin port on the power supply. If the Maple is limited to RS232, you will need to use the Horner converter that you already use for programming. Details of the PLC port pinouts can be found in the manual GFK-0356. You can download a copy from the GE Fanuc Globalcare site http://globalcare.gefanuc.com/ and click on "Product manuals, no login required"

Good idea... Thanks for the link

Order 44A731233 to upgrade the CPU311.

If there is room on your rack you can use a CMM to talk to your HMI. We still have a few 311's around and use the the CMM to talk to Cuttler Hammer Panelmates with SNP. Here is the pinout I have used for RS232 from the 9030 power supply though.

Smoke, back when they were introduced, the 90-30 models with the CPU in the baseplate (CPU311, CPU313, CPU323) were incompatible with the CMM311 and PCM modules. As far as I know that is still the case. Even if that has changed (and I don't think it has), it's certain that the old CPU version that mkfuss has will not be compatible with the CMM311. A CMM311 module can only go in a 90-30 system with a modular CPU (CPU331 or higher). I think there are (or were) some communications modules from Horner Electric that could add an extra serial port to a CPU311.

Steve, Thanks for the info I did realize later that the older CPU's that I have are 331 and not 311. I didn't know about the incompatibility. I do have a HMI communicating on the power supply port with the pin-out described above though. Perhaps this can work for mfkuss.

Horner (www.heapg.com) still makes a module that allows that CPU311 and CPU232 have a second serial port, If you are interested I can look up a part number.

I'd be very interested in the p/n. I support several 90-30's and many have other serial devices connected. Would be nice if we had another port. Also, I've used the Eztouch (from AVG) as an operator interface on the 90-30's. I believe they also support SNPX and SNP protocols. I've used both the Maples and the Eztouch's and the Maples tend to be a bit oddball to program. bob

HE693SNP900 Try this: Edited by RussB

Just remember that to add a Horner serial communications module to a CPU311, CPU313, or CPU323 system you need to have a spare slot available. You can not add an additional I/O rack to any of those models. Only modular CPUs (CPU331 and higher model numbers) support expansion racks. Edited by Steve Bailey

folks, i have the cpu331 processor, but do not know how to go online with it, my laptop has usb port and win 7 os pro i have a prolific usb to 232 serial converter and an 232 to 485 converter, i bought a db15 pin connector but have no idea how to build a cable from the 485 to the db15 connector pls help out. thanks

You should start a new thread. This should help for the cable, what software do you plan to use? http://forums.ge-ip....ead.php?p=60395 Information on Proficy ME here. (CPU331 support is version 4.5 and later) http://forums.ge-ip....ead.php?t=16321 Edited by RussB