BobLfoot

PLC Law

166 posts in this topic

PLC Law #20: [ 52: 2014 EDITION] Don't trust anyone's description of a problem. Verify yourself!!! PLC Law #21: [ 53:2014 EDITION] Before making any requested changes, make sure you understand what is indeed requested. It is often people speak different "languages" Edited by BobLfoot

PLC Law 43.1 [43.1 2014 EDITION] The PLC can allways be programmed to overcome any axis (or process) problems where NO sensors exist.

PLC LAW 2 - MAKE SURE YOU PLUG THE CABLE IN BEFORE YOU TRY TO FIGURE OUT WHY YOU CAN'T GO ONLINE. PLC law 2.1 - Just when you have every Cable, Card, Gadget and Gizmo for your Plant/Site. Someone will change {improve} the hardware

"PLC LAW #11 Spares should not sit of the shelf. They should be used for training and tesing." PLC Law #11.1 [11.2 2014 EDITION] - Make sure you load the correct program in the spare before powering up in a production machine. True story - SLC 5/04 programmed in the trainer and swapped into production machine after a processor fault. Only my tech didn't load the machine program. There wasn't anything good about that, several mechanical parts later we were back on track.

Sorry for the up :) The links given in the first post do not work. Anyone to send it somehow? Edited by Penko Mitev

First Post Links Updated. Try http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer..._type=&aq=f

Thanks, Bob! However, where it comes to PLC Law, where do you store it? If I understood properly from the first post, there is a file with all these Laws one after another :). So, is there such file? I tried Search with "Law" in the Downloads sub-forum but it did not find anything.

I may as well contribute... PLC Law 8.2 [8.3] 2014 EDITION - You can run virtual machines and install different Manufactures Programming software on each, that way all the little children can play together. PLC Law 0.1 [0.1] 2014 EDITION - I AM THE LAW PLC Law 0.2 [6.2] 2014 EDITION - Back up, Back up, Back UP, BACK UP not only your PLC programs but your PC. I cannot emphasize this enough

Check out this Download Link 2008 was the last "official" update and it looks like 2010 may produce another revision later this year. KEEP THE IDEAS COMING GUYS.

Thanks! I printed them out and they are attached at the wall :).

Law #33. - The program NEVER fails. Law #33.1 [2014 EDITION] - The program in the PLC does NOT have a virus. No, it can't get one either. Law #33.1.1 [2014 EDITION] - Look, it really hasn't got a virus, ok? You need to trust me on this. Paraphrased from a real conversation I had with a line manager once.

...unless it is a siemens plcdp
1 person likes this

PLC Law #32.1 [ 2014 EDITION] When making backups or upgrading any program logic DO NOT under any cicumstances name the program or backup 'NEW' i.e new(machine)prog.rss {a/b} because once this has been done a number of times, who knows which program is the newest or when it was updated. I have a number of program versions all called newprog with only windows time stamp to differenciate To add to confusion the power dist. board has three circuit breakers all labelled 'new machine' Steve

Wow! Been a long time since I've stopped by! Here's a few to add: PLC Law 18.3- It's always a program/electrical problem until you can prove it's not. PLC Law 36.5- The problem is somewhere between the floor and the HMI... PLC Law 49.2- The time estimate for all task should be four days. Example: How long will this take to install? Four days. How long will it take to change this fuse? Four days. Four days covers almost all thing in life. Numbering for the new ones have gotten a bit out of whack, so by my count we're at... PLC Law 55- When putting it into memory, remember where you put it. PLC Law 56- Rule 1: Plug it in. Rule 2: Turn it on. This solves 80% of all troubleshooting. PLC Law 57- A poorly planned project will take three times longer to complete than expected. A carefully planned one will only take twice as long. PLC Law 58- All good projects require money, time, and resources. You may pick any two. PLC Law 59- Does anything say "Thanksgiving" quite like cranberry sauce? Everyone needs a good non-sequiter. Regards, Jordan [GREAT JOB JORDAN - ALL MAKE THE 2014 EDITION AS NUMBERED]

Try this Link -- http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=817 It's under Downloads - Miscellaneous - Tutorials and Guides

Saw a plc cabinet once with a big sticker on it. "If you are a plant electrician reading this, stop, stand back and look at the pretty lights" 2014 EDITION NOTES -- PLC LAW #54 – IF YOU NEED A GOOD MACHINE LABEL OR STICKER USE A RULE FROM THIS SECTION. PLC LAW 54.1 - "If you are a plant electrician reading this, stop, stand back and look at the pretty lights" Edited by BobLfoot

I like the sound of that one... I have a picture of a sign that says 'This machine has no brain. Use your own.' 2014 EDITION NOTES PLC LAW #54 – IF YOU NEED A GOOD MACHINE LABEL OR STICKER USE A RULE FROM THIS SECTION. PLC LAW 54.2 - 'This machine has no brain. Use your own.'

#23.1 -- Never, ever, put a force in place unless you are 100% certain of the reaction of the logic/equipment.
1 person likes this

Can you believe it has been six years since I last edtied and EDITION of these rules. And nine years since we started righting them. SOme of you will notice a comment called [2014 EDITION} within your posts. This means I am back to editing and will try to release a new bright shiny 2014 Edition in time for the Christmas Gift Giving Season :) I could use a proof reader or two if you don't mind checking my layout and spelling before we release to the General Public this time. Just post a response ProofReader VOlunteer and I'll PM you with where to download your advance review copy. Keep the ideas coming. I plan to close out submissions in Sept/Oct. BUT PLEASE READ WHAT EXISTS FIRST, IT GETS HARDER EACH EDITION TO CATCH DUPLICATES.

ProofReader VOlunteer

Another Proof Reader Volunteer.

I think I tore something laughing so hard at 54.2. PLC LAW #60 - IN THE ABSENCE OF PROPER CONTROLS DUE TO DESIGN OVERSIGHT, USING A TIMER MIGHT MAKE IT WORK FOR COMMISSIONING, BUT 6 MONTHS DOWN THE ROAD WHEN EVERYTHING HAS SLOWED DOWN YOU'LL ARRIVE ON SITE TO FIND THE PARTS ALL OVER THE FLOOR. PLC LAW #60.1 - WHEN A PART IS WORN OUT, REPLACE IT. COATING IT WITH WD-40 EVERY SHIFT IS NOT AN OPTION. PLC LAW #61 - DON'T BOTHER BUYING A SUPPORT CONTRACT. MORE OFTEN THAN NOT THEY CAN'T ANSWER YOUR OBSCURE QUESTION ANYWAY. WHY ELSE WOULD YOU CALL? CLEARLY IT'S NOT DOCUMENTED. YOUR PHONE SUPPORT TECHNICIAN IS ONLY LOOKING THROUGH THOSE SAME MANUALS ANYWAY. Not exclusive to PLCs, but always a good law anyways ;) PLC LAW #62 - IF YOU INSTALL AN ADJUSTABLE COMPONENT (FOR ALIGNMENT DURING INSTALL), MAKE SURE IT IS SECURELY FASTENED DOWN.

Put me on the list for proofreading, if you need an extra set of eyes.

Don't know if this is a PLC law, sounds more like a version of Murphy's law A software will only crash after several hours of work without saving or backing it up Used "Ctrl - S" constantly when using the earlier versions of Siemens TIA Portal. [PLC LAW 6.2 IN THE SOON TO RELEASE 2016 EDITION]